Chapter Eight: Missing

Oh my god I'm an awful person. I'm so sorry to keep you guys waiting on this story! I had some issues and got depressed for a bit. Long story short, my boyfriend of four years left me for my best friend/roommate. So yeah that was nice. Anyway I'm back!
*****
Murdoch left work that day feeling hopeful and scared and nervous and who knows what else. He was going to give himself to James and confess his feelings without guilt or shame. Sure, he was in love with a murderer but that's sort of what drew him to being a detective in the first place. If it hadn't of been for James he never would have known this side of hisself and would have probably made Julia's life awful due to his...sexual orientation.  He was relieved and still nervous.

Did it hurt? Maybe James was the one who would do everything. Maybe James would want to be the one who...no he couldn't think about it right now. It was too embarrassing and completely new to Murdoch. Which was a little exciting. Taking the steps to his apartment, Murdoch took a deep breath before opening the door..the door that was slightly open.

Alarm bells went off inside Murdoch's head. Slowly,he eased the door open. It was dark. Moonlight shone through the open window. Glass was scattered across the floor from a broken lamp. His mattress was on the floor and ripped open. Stepping closer to the window, he noticed blood smeared on the window sill. James Gillies was nowhere to be found.

***
Chief Inspector Brackenreid walked along the apartment, toeing a piece of glass.
"Well,Murdoch I think it's a pretty easy guess as to who did this. Only one to have it out for ya."
Murdoch shook his head," You don't think this was Gillies do you? A common thief looks to be more orderly than this disaster." He couldn't believe it was James. No, someone was after James and he was forced to escape. That had to be it. Hopefully.
Brackenreid puffed up, "Aye I do think it was Gillies and I don't know why you're being so defensive towards a murderer anyways."
"It's not that sir, I simply meant this wasn't his..style." He tried to calm himself. If Brackenreid got suspicious of him he wouldn't be allowed on the case.
"Well..I suppose you're right on that. Still, picking a detectives flat to rob was mighty stupid of whoever did this. We'll have to have Dr.Ogden take a look at the blood and see if it's the same type as Gillies just to be safe."
The inspector glared at Murdoch for a second and said, "Oi, Murdoch. Aren't you the one who usually says stuff like that? Why do I have to?"

Murdoch blushed and apologized, "Sorry, Inspector. It's not every day my flat gets robbed."
Brackenreid' eyes went wide, "Right. Sorry my boy. Don't you worry, we'll catch who did this. Uh maybe you should stay at Dr.Ogdens tonight. You are a couple. It should be a nice change of scenery,eh?" He nudged Murdoch with a cheeky grin.

Murdoch cleared his throat, "We are no longer together actually."
Brackenreid's jaw dropped, "Dr.Ogden called it off then? I swear women are so-"
"I called it off this afternoon." Stopping the inspector before he could regret something.
"What? But I thought you were in love with her? What happened?"
Murdoch sighed. He couldn't tell Brackenreid that he didn't like women. So instead he said, "If it's alright with you sir, I'd rather discuss this another time. And don't worry, I'll rent a room at a nearby hotel for the night."

Brackenreid clamped his mouth shut and patted the boy on the back. The constables that had come to investigate filed out of the room and Brackenreid shortly left after. This was a mess. James was missing,still injured and possibly hurt more. Sighing, he went to his nightstand and found a pen and paper. It was rather silly to write a note when whoever destroyed his room might come back but he was hoping James would too. On it he wrote:

Dear James,
I will be residing in a hotel nearby. I trust you know how to reach me,like always. Please come at once.
William

He had wanted to write Love,Murdoch but had decided against it in case it wasn't James who read the note. Packing a change of clothes, William Murdoch traveled three blocks to the nearest hotel: a two story affair with Victorian style windows and a bed and breakfast sign out front.

The elderly couple who met him at reception were the owners and seemed thrilled at having a "gentleman" staying with them. Even at such a late hour, they still made him a small plate of food and sent him upstairs to a vacant room. The inside was plush and very floral. Just what he expected honestly. Putting his clothes away and setting the food on the desk, he undressed and climbed into bed. It was cold. He hadn't realized just how much warmth James had provided before. As anxious as he was, Murdoch couldn't fight sleep much longer and his eyelids began to droop. It wasn't long before he was asleep. In fact he was so tired that night, that even the sound of the window opening didn't wake him.

*****
Okay! Hope you like it~ I'm going to try to post more after work tomorrow night. Maybe before if I have time. I even set a reminder in my phone though so I shouldn't forget! Thank you guys,
Love,
Rachel