Chapter Nine: James

The window eased open with a slight creak. James Gillies froze. The last thing he needed was for Murdoch to wake up before he could bandage himself. Seeing that the detective was still breathing deeply, James slipped into the room and shut the window-quietly. He crept over to the side where Murdoch was sleeping and gazed down. He looked so peaceful and incredibly tired. Dark rings were beginning to form underneath his eyes. Poor William. He must have been worried to death over James's disappearance. At least, he'd like to think so. Limping over to the desk chair, James got his first aid supplies out from his bag. It was smart of him to steal these from Murdoch's room earlier that day. He pulled up the trousers on his right leg, revealing his ankle underneath.

It was not a fair sight. The skin had been cut fairly cleanly and he suspected one of his tendons was at least somewhat damaged, but not cut through. He had been lucky...this time. He clenched his teeth together as he uncorked the bottle of alcohol. It needed disinfected and this was going to be a bitch to pour on. Braving himself, he poured. 

"Mm mother...nng." He muffled his cries as his hands shook from the pain. God he hated getting cut almost more than he hated getting shot. As the stinging faded, James pulled a long strip of gauze from his bag and began deftly wrapping it around his leg and foot. He prayed that whoever had come searching for him before wouldn't return. Otherwise, he might not be able to escape next time. Putting his things away, James decided to undress before climbing into bed. As he took his shirt off, he noticed a plate of untouched food on the desk and tried to think of when he ate last. It had been at least a day. Shrugging, he tucked in. It wasn't the best meat pie he had eaten, but it would do for now. Full and wrapped up, James discarded of the rest of his clothing and slipped in gently next to William Murdoch. The detective barely even shifted. 

***

Sunlight poured in from the window, the lace curtains casting a small pattern on the wall. Groaning, Murdoch remembered the night before and considered going back to sleep when he felt a weight on his side. Freezing, he slowly tilted his head back to see what it was. An arm..and it was attached to...James. Murdoch sighed in relief and pulled the blanket back slightly, examining James for any injuries. Seeing his leg wrapped, he frowned but at least he didn't seem to be in any peril. Relaxing back into bed, Murdoch decided he would rest a bit more considering he had not gone to bed until late and the main reason for him waking up was already safe and sound next to him. He put his hand over the one Gillies had on his side. For so much danger this man brought into his life, this was pure bliss. 

***

Murdoch lay in bed debating whether ot not he should go to work that day. James was still asleep and he needed to know what had happened the night before, but he also hadn't missed a day of work in a long time. His morals warred with his heart and for once, he decided to listen to his heart. He would wait for James to wake up and then go into work once he knew why someone had broken into his flat. Just as he was deciding this, James stirred next to him. Murdoch smiled and brushed a hand against his partner's curly head of hair. He was gorgeous. James smiled sleepily and opened his eyes. 

"Good morning, William." his voice was husky and amused at the gesture. Murdoch smiled back.

"James," he said, "What happened last night?" Gillies should have known he would cut right to the point. Sighing, he raised himself up and with a wince, pulled the blanket back to reveal his bandaged ankle. William's eyes widened.

"So that was your blood on the window. Are you alright? Can you move it?" He went to touch it but James held up a hand. 

"Murdoch, I'm alright now. I should probably see a doctor but it wont kill me if I don't. At least..I don't think it will." His face turned light and joking, but Murdoch could tell he was in pain. He needed a doctor, but who did he know that would willingly look at a mass criminal. James poked the wrinkle forming between Murdoch's eyebrows. 

"Stop worrying about me. I can take care of myself. If you really want to help then you should be looking for the man that crept into your room last night. "

Murdoch nodded, "That's right. Do you know who he was, what he looked like? Anything at all?" 

James just shook his head. "He was average height and build. He work a white cloth to cover his face and a cloak to hide the rest of him. I don't even know his ethnicity. There was only one thing i noticed that was of importance last night. When he entered the room, he drew back the covers while I was sleeping and as I moved to dodge his knife, he seemed genuinely surprised that it was me. William, I don't think the break in was intended for me." 

William just shook his head. There was only one person who had ever had it out for him and that was James, but that wasn't true of him anymore. So who could possibly be after him? 

"James, there isn't anyone who would want to kill me. Not anymore at least." He gave a slight smile as he glanced at James.

"Hey, I was never trying to kill you. I knew you would escape me. That was always the fun of it. Watching you figure out my puzzles with such ease. Except for that one time I did almost kill you. I really didn't expect that to happen. Sorry about that." He shrugged his shoulders casually and William just grinned back. To hear James Gillies apologize even if it wasn't so serious, was amusing. Back to the point though. 

"If it wasn't you, then who would be trying to kill me? Especially so outright?" 

James sat up and rested a hand on Murdoch's back. "Did you make enemies lately? With anyone?" 

Murdoch sighed, "No, not to my knowledge. But a murderer doesn't usually seem hostile until they try to kill someone. So, maybe its not an enemy."

Gillies nodded, running his hand up and down the detective's spine, "It would throw suspicion off said person if they were nice to you before you died. Perhaps someone you recently made up with then?" Murdoch raised his eyebrows and shot a pointed look at James.

James's eyes widened, "I don't mean me, William!" Murdoch clasped a hand around Gillies mouth. 

"Quiet, James. The owners don't know you're here. And I didn't think it was you. I was only showing you that maybe someone intended to frame you for it. Make me think you had betrayed me so we wouldn't be near each other." James still couldn't speak and took Murdoch's hand off. 

"William, my dearest, no one else knows of us." A soft kiss planted on Murdoch's palm as he whispered "us."  William closed his eyes. It was almost intoxicating hearing him say that. James continued kissing up Murdoch's wrist. White hot desire shot through William Murdoch like an arrow to the heart. He could feel his pulse quicken and was sure Gillies could through his wrist. James looked up with a smirk, making Murdoch blush and pull his hand back. 

"Well," he cleared his throat, "I should be getting to work. I'll bring you something more to eat when I get back. Until then, do not leave this room." James blushed slightly at the authoritative tone Murdoch held. 

"Why, detective. I didn't know you could be so demanding." He purred. William rose to dress, ignoring the slight tent in his undergarments. James pouted as he watched the detective dress fully and prepare to leave. 

"Are you sure I can't help you with that before you leave?" Gillies pulled Murdoch's hips back toward the bed. William moaned slightly as James cupped a hand over his trousers. This man was so seductive to him. Running a hand through James's hair, Murdoch backed up carefully. 

"You are very dangerous, James. I'll have to remember to satisfy you as often as possible otherwise I'll never be on time for work for the rest of my life." Bending down, he kissed James's forehead and strode out of the room, shutting the door behind him and leaving a shocked Gillies in bed, wondering what he meant by "for the rest of my life." A smile spread across his face. William Murdoch must be in love with him deeply. 

*****

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry about the wait. I kept telling myself to finish this up all week and kept forgetting. Well here it is. Sorry for all the sexual tension but we all know Murdoch wouldn't be so quick to give it up. hang in there for the next chapter and please remember to vote!

Rachel Gaught