Chapter Twelve: The Chase

William Murdoch awoke to the sun streaming onto his face. It was late in the day judging from the shadows on the ceiling. James Gillies lay asleep beside him, his breathing deep and slightly labored. He knew that last night had been too much for him and that his lover needed to rest much longer to heal properly. Deciding not to wake him, William rose and dressed for the day. Inspector Brackenreid was still investigating who had broken into his flat and without Murdoch there he probably hadn't gotten very far along with the case. Slipping his suspenders over his shoulders, Murdoch sighed. If only he had been there when it happened. Then, maybe James wouldn't be injured and William would have caught the culprit red-handed. He worried too much about James's safety after that night. Who knew what would happen to him while William was at work. Trying to ease his own mind, he ran a hand through James's wavy hair. It had grown long and had began curling at the ends. He looked gorgeous.

Murdoch bent and kissed his forehead. James would be safe. He would have a constable patrol around the area just to be safe though. Smiling to himself, Murdoch had never thought he would be one of those anxious types of lovers. It was almost surprising, knowing how much he felt for the man. Shrugging on his blazer, Detective Murdoch took to the station. He was a man on a mission and no one-not even James Gillies himself- could stop him today.

Upon arriving at the station, Murdoch slipped into the Inspector's office. The Inspector was standing at this desk, reading some papers and shaking his head slowly back and forth. Seeing Murdoch arrive, he glanced up.

"Ah, Murdoch. I swear I can't make heads or tails of this mess. I've had the lads search through every threat and past enemy you've had and I can't imagine who would break into your flat, trail blood everywhere, and leave without even taking anything!" The Inspector huffed, and threw the papers down on his desk. He slugged over to his decanter.

Murdoch smiled reassuringly, "Inspector, perhaps this person wasn't after me in particular," He said, trying to throw him off the trail of Gillies, "Perhaps he was just some drunkard who got into a fight and stumbled into the wrong room. After all, I don't have any known enemies except for James Gillies who we both know is either dead or has flown the country by now."

The Inspector poured himself a glass of whiskey while Murdoch was talking and now looked at him in perplexment, "What, you think you of all people just so happened to have a coincidental break in?"

Murdoch tilted his head and nodded slightly, "Well, Sir, I can't see what other situation would prompt this series of events. It's as you said, nothing was stolen and there was only blood tracked around. Therefore, I can't see why someone already injured would break in to do myself harm. He..or she.. wouldn't stand much of a chance against anyone in that state." He smiled to himself. Even to him this all sounded reasonable. Too bad he knew the real reason someone broke in...not like he could tell the inspector that though.

The Inspector sighed and nodded. "Aye, that does make sense. Well, Murdoch if you're sure it's nothing to do with you then I'll trust you. I do want whoever broke in brought to justice though. we can't just have random drunkards wandering into people's houses and tracking blood everywhere. Make sure you look into this mess. Since it doesn't have anything personal to do with you anymore I suppose it'll be alright to let you deal with it," Brackenreid was about to sit at his desk when he paused, "Oh, and, maybe you should take Higgins with you. I'm not sure whats got into him but he's been daydreaming like a lad in love and I don't fancy it during work hours."

Murdoch smiled and nodded, "Of course, Sir. I think I have the perfect job to distract Constable Higgins today."

Murdoch walked into the lobby and found Henry sitting at his desk, twiddling his thumbs per usual.