Chapter Ten: The Doctor

Murdoch arrived at Station House No. 4 around ten o'clock that morning, feeling uneasy about what he was about to do. James Gillies needed a doctor, of that he was certain. Unfortunately, he knew few doctors willing to work on a mass murderer and not tell anyone about it. He also needed someone he could trust. So, as he was opening the door to his office it seemed almost like fate (if he believed in that sort of thing) when Dr. Julia Ogden called his attention. 

"William!" She called across the station. Turning around, Murdoch watched as she walked steadily up to him, a smile on her face. He smiled back though not as convincingly as he would have preferred. 

"William. I just wanted to let you know that I have no harsh feelings towards what happened between us. After all, you can't control your nature. If you ever want to discuss it my office is always open." Her tone reached a sort of clinical attitude towards the end and Murdoch raised his eyebrows.

"Dr.Ogden, are you trying to examine me?" Slight amusement showed in his voice, but he was put on edge, knowing he had too much to hide at that moment. Julia laughed. 

"Was it that obvious? It's just so fascinating. I've never met someone so...well so unaware of their own nature until now. Usually it manifests at an early age-"

"Julia. Why don't we speak in my office?" He glanced around nervously, hoping no one heard their conversation. Dr.Ogden stopped speaking and widened her eyes slightly. Walking into the office, Murdoch shut the door behind them. Hopefully the Inspector would turn away any unwanted guests once he saw Julia inside. Though it would be tough explaining this if he asked later. They took a seat at his desk. Him on one side, and she on the other. Julia blushed slightly.

"I'm so sorry, William. I just got so excited about the matter that I didn't even think about our location." 

William smiled reassuringly back at her, "It's alright, Julia. There's actually something I need to ask you. A favor I suppose, but also a secret. That is, if it's alright to ask after what happened between us."

"Of course, William. Anything at all. Does this have to do with you arriving late? I must admit I don't think you've been more late your whole career than this past week." 

Murdoch sighed and rubbed his forehead. "It is part of it, yes. This is very difficult and I'm not sure how to even begin explaining." 

Julia took on a professional gaze. "Don't worry William. Just explain how you know best."

Murdoch nodded and fiddled with his hands on the desk, "Well, Julia. You know that there is someone I've fallen in love with. You also know that person is not a woman." She nodded for him to continue. "There is something a bit more shocking that I have to tell you. This person is also a past criminal." Julia's eyes widened only a fraction before she spoke.

"I would never had guessed you would have fallen for a criminal, but I suppose we don't choose who we love. Surely though he can't be that bad since you said past..." Murdoch gave her a pleading look for her to stop speaking. Julia trailed off and seemed conflicted.

"William, why don't you just tell me who it is? You're looking at me as if I know him." William sighed and shook his head. 

"Julia, I am going to sound absolutely insane but I need you to trust my judgement on this no matter what. And you can't tell anyone once I tell you. Are you sure you want to know?" Dr.Ogden looked troubled but nodded. Another sigh escaped. 

"His name is James..Gillies." A gasp came from the other side of the desk and Julia clutched her hands together tightly. She was breathing hard and Murdoch rose to help her. 

"Julia, are you alright?" She put a hand up. 

"Just one moment please." Murdoch sat and watched as she began to calm down. Finally, she looked him in the eyes.