Chapter Nineteen-A New Flatmate

It had been a long month. William Murdoch had encountered his arch-nemesis/love of his life, he had been kidnapped, rescued, been lied to by his almost brother, and encountered the secret service-not to mention he still couldn't return to his flat due to it being a wreck with a broken window. However, he had the best support system of all: James Gillies. James had stuck with him through it all, had saved him on occassion, and had even nursed him back to fighting health. Now, the only thing left to do was obvious-to ask James the most important question he could possibly conjure at this junction in their relationship.

William was beyond nervous, for what would he do if James said no? He stumbled into the hotel room that he had been staying at and looked around the brightly lit room for James. Since his leg had healed, James had been disappearing for hours on end and only returning when it got dark. Of course, he had to wait until night time otherwise he risked being seen. Not good for a supposedly dead man.

James was positioned in one of the lounge chairs, reading the daily newspaper. He smiled wearily at Murdoch as he walked over to him. Dark circles peppered underneath James's gorgeous green eyes and his hair looked a bit disheveled as if he had had a bad dream- of which Murdoch knew to be the case. James had not been sleeping well since he rescued William from sure death only a week or so before. William had asked him about it, but James just kept his mouth shut and reassured William that he was only being silly and to go back to bed. This was the most worrisome for Murdoch. James had been sneaking off and then hadn't told William about his nightmares. He was nervous beyond belief.

"Good evening, James," Murdoch said lovingly, giving James a kiss on the head.

"Good evening, Detective." James tried to give his knowing smirk but it seemed dulled by fatigue. Murdoch frowned.

"Come now, William, I am fine. I know you're worried but don't be. All will be revealed soon. I promise."

This statement troubled William more than it reassured him. He wasn't sure he would like something that troubling to be revealed if it was causing James to lose sleep. Taking in a deep breath, William steadied himself to ask the question. He sat in front of James and held both of his hands, shoving the newspaper away.

"William?" James asked concerned, "What is it?"

"James Gillies, I have a very important question to ask you."

This time James managed his winning smirk, "Why, Detective, you aren't proposing to me are you?"

Murdoch glared playfully, "Don't joke right now, James. I'm serious."

James raised his eyebrows in compliance, "Very well, I'll play nice."

"Now, as I was saying," Murdoch gazed pointedly, " James Gillies, I was wondering if perhaps you would consider...consider us living together..permanently."

A blush of deep scarlet painted William's face, and James looked surprised for once before smiling in confusion.

"I kind of thought we already were...?"

That was all the answer William Murdoch needed. He beamed before pulling James towards him and enveloping him in a deep, passionate kiss that lasted much longer than James Gillies would have thought was comfortable for Murdoch.

"Why, Detective. You have gotten bold." His playfulness was restored with vigor as he nipped William's bottom lip slightly. William blushed and pulled away.

"I was just so surprised you would say yes. I thought....I thought that after all the secrets you've kept that maybe you had planned on leaving me." He smiled bashfully, a little guilt-ridden for thinking such things now.

James's eyes widened, "That reminds me, I can tell you now. This is perfect, William." Excitement etched his voice as he grasped William's hands in his own.

"This whole time I've been away, I have been preparing a surprise for you-well for us, really. I'm so glad that you asked me because I was going to surprise you on your birthday but this is even better."

William blanched at the fact that James knew his birthday was soon, but was more intrigued about this surprise of his.

"Well, tell me James. You know I hate secrets-even if they are surprises."

"I've been preparing us a new flat. I've been moving all of your things over and some of my things I had hidden away. I had to be careful about your things since they're still at that crime scene of a flat but I finally managed most of it." He was bursting with enthusiasm, and looking at Murdoch with hopeful eyes-it was adorable.

"You mean you've been sneaking off to prepare us a flat? You did all that for me? James, I love it. I can't believe you would do something like that." He pulled James into an embrace. James Gillies shook with laughter.

"I'm so thrilled you like it. I was so scared you would hate the idea that I've been having nightmares of it for weeks now." He laughed at himself, and brushed his hair out of his face-it really was time for a trim.

"James Gillies, you are ridiculous having nightmares over something like that. Of course, I love it. It's wonderful, thank you."

William and James kissed again, more gently, before James fell back with a sigh. He was exhausted and it wasn't long before William had to carry him to bed, kissing his forehead as he lay him down and James Gillies didn't have a single bad dream that night.

*****

Sorry! I know it's only one chapter but a storm knocked my internet out for most of the day! Pleas enjoy this one, and I will have the next one out tomorrow night! ONce again, thanks for reading! Goodnight all!

Love,

Rachel