Chapter Fourteen: Running Out of Time

OKAY, just a head's up- things are about to get off the track as far as the original story goes on Murdoch Mysteries. If some things don't add up to the tv show in this fanfic, please remember that this is fanfiction and so some things have been altered to fit with my story. That being said, I hope you like it. Please don't forget to vote, comment, and share!

Love,

Rachel

*******

Dr.Ogden and Inspector Brackenreid arrived at the little inn around 9 o'clock that same night. The poor old couple who ran it were shocked to find that one of their patrons had been involved in a police matter-though they already knew that William Murdoch was a detective. Brackenreid asked the old man to show him to Murdoch's room, which he readily obliged to, even at such a late hour. Julia was terrified as the elderly innkeeper eased the door open. She could only hope that James had disappeared before they arrived. He was always good at that before. Inspector Brackenreid shoved through the doorway, a stream of profanities emitting from his lips a split second later. The room was empty.

Julia let out an inner sigh of relief. Murdoch's secret was safe-for now. Brackenreid pulled the blankets off the bed, looking for anything that might give him some sort of clue. A bloodstain was on the lower half of the sheets. Surely that was from where the man was injured before. Antiseptic lay on the desk, along with cold food and what looked to be an overnight bag of Murdoch's. That was all. The only point of signifigance was the blood, but since Dr.Ogden had already told him about the injury he didn't have much to go off of from there. Unless...

"Dr.Ogden, you said that he had a man staying with him, correct?"

Julia nodded, "Yes, Inspector."

"So, where is he now? If their relationship is as you said, then I bet this man of his went out looking for him AND I bet he went out in his usual fashion...the window."

Dr.Ogden felt her eyes widen a fraction. She tried to hide her surprise at how quickly he figured out that James had went looking for William, but failed. The Inspector looked at her suspiciously.

"You know, Doctor, I've half a mind that you knew all of this would happen from the moment I mentioned coming here." The Doctor kept quiet and shrugged apologetically. Inspector Brackenreid sighed in resignation. There was no way he was going to get a woman as stubborn as her to admit anything she didn't want to.

"Alright then, crack on. We've got a kidnapper to find."

*****

It had been hours since Murdoch had awoken from his tiny cell. His head still pounded but his energy had gone up since eating some of the bread that his kidnapper had left him. He wasn't sure if anyone was going to come and speak to him, but he knew that they wanted him alive at least, considering the food. He debated going back to sleep for a few hours so that he could try to regain his memories once he was well rested again. However, you also aren't supposed to sleep for long with a concussion so he wasn't really sure what to do at the moment. He could gain nothing from the room itself. It was concrete upon concrete and with only one window being very high up, he had no chance of seeing out of it even if he stood on the chair.

Whoever had taken him, knew that he could deduce a room easily and had prepared a blank canvas so that he wouldn't be able to use his mind to escape. If they knew him well enough to figure that out then he had to have encountered this person more than once. It can't have been a one time encounter like he had thought before. He had to have spoken to this person, and possibly solved a case for this person. None of the people he had sent to jail had been let out recently, in fact most of them hanged for murder. So it had to be someone else. Not a culprit, but perhaps a previous victim? It didn't make sense to him, but it could happen. He had heard crazier theories before.