Chapter Thirteen: Amiss

I'm feeling overly generous and excited! So, here's the next chapter-technically on Tuesday even though it's 3AM here. Enjoy!
-Rachel
*****
It had been 12 hours since William Murdoch disappeared- 6 o'clock in the evening now. The whole of Station House No. 4 was out looking for the detective. Constable Higgins had found his bicycle, but there had been no trace of the detective. The early morning dew had dried up, erasing the trail that showed where he had ran after the culprit before. Inspector Brackenreid was beside himself with anger and worry. Constable Crabtree was trying to keep everyone's spirits up by saying how resourceful the detective was, and that he was sure he would be found safe. However, as the hours ticked by, even he grew silent. Everyone knew that after 24 hours went by, it was unlikely to find a missing person alive, if at all. Dr. Ogden had been called to help with the search as well, but nothing came up. Even after searching the woods that Murdoch had ran into, they hadn't managed to find the clearing where he was kidnapped. If they couldn't even find the place he went missing from...well.

There was one who was even more worried than the rest though. James Gillies sat inside the little room of the little inn and was overwhelmed with emotions. Fury, guilt, sadness, concern, but most of all- calculative rage. He was going after whoever had taken his lover. Yes, he was injured, but he couldn't wait around to hear that the love of his life would never return. The rest of the police force was useless. James knew that much. As the night grew darker, and the 24 hour mark passed, James Gillies snuck into the woods that Dr.Ogden had said he disappeared in. He found a branch to use as a walking stick, and limping through the trees, he was determined to find William Murdoch. No matter what it took from him, James would not give up.

*****

-A FEW HOURS AFTER THE CHASE, 12:05PM-

William Murdoch awoke with a groan. His head was pounding, and his vision was blurred. He didn't know how long he had been unconscious, or where he could be for that matter. He was laying on a concrete floor. Shivers ran through his body. It was too cold in here for the midle of summer. He tried to look around without possibly alerting someone that he was awake. Squinting his eyes, he tried to focus his vision. It was dark, the only light being let in by a thin window at the top of the room. There was nothing on the concrete walls to give away his location, the room had been emptied except for a small wooden chair and a table with a pitcher of water on it, an empty glass, and some bread. Struggling to sit up, Murdoch rose shakily. He stumbled over to the chair and sat down before pouring a glass of water and draining the whole thing in less than a minute. His stomach rolled and he almost got sick before settling again. Murdoch was fairly certain he had a concussion.

Famished, but being careful, Murdoch pulled tiny pieces of bread off and nibbled on them slowly. He didn't want to get sick and waste the water he had just consumed. Starting to feel a bit himself again, Murdoch listened for people or carriages. He heard nothing, except birds. So, he wasn't in town. It was mid-day judging from the position of the sunlight on the wall from the window. He had either been unconscious for just a few hours or for more than a day. Considering he wasn't completely dehydrated, he assumed it was only a few hours. The station house would have noticed he was missing by now, and James..James would be beside himself with worry. A sharp pain went through his head and he groaned. Who had hit him? He couldn't remember much. He had been in the woods, chasing someone, and then...he couldn't remember how he was hit. It was like a fuzzy spot in his brain that wouldn't go away. Murdoch sighed and knew that he had temporary amnesia of the event due to the concussion. It would take time for him to figure it out and he couldn't force it either. Surveying his situation, Murdoch made a few points in his head.

One: he was merely knocked out so his kidnapper wasn't trying to kill him. The fact he was given food and water proved that as well.

Two: he wasn't bound to anything, so whoever had held him captive wasn't concerned about him escaping.

Dangerous Desires (MurdochxGillies) On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara