Last Words at the End of the World

Just a little advice from someone whose been through this a couple of times before.

When you have a minute left, it all comes down to timing.

Timing and a good stopwatch.

If your stop watch sucks, none of the rest of it matters, you're dead in the water – literally so if you happen to spend much time on water.

Beyond a perfect time piece, the two other "p's" to keep in mind are "preparation" and "practice."

Preparation because you need to have a speech memorized, something you can pull up in a pinch, something you won't forget because you're in pain or tired or half-asleep.

Practice because you need to be able to recite that speech with metronome precision, anywhere and at anytime.

When the moment comes, it's unlikely that you're going to have a set of cue cards on hand, and you won't have second chances – the Apocalypse waits for no one.

Most of the speech is just filler, designed to keep time, to get your throat warmed up and your voice ready.

The last ten seconds though, that's where mistakes happen. The secret here is to breath and stay focused. When you're that close to the edge, you're apt to discover some tick or stutter you never knew you had.

The saddest thing in the world is to lose the prize because you suddenly have the uncontrollable urge to clear your throat.

Keep these things in mind and with a little luck, you might just be the one to utter the last words your old worl...

[Reboot...]