Little Red

Once a long, long time ago there was child of scarlet and gold.

This creature had lived a dozen, dozen lives and through those centuries had earned many names. Some called her Finality, for she would rarely show herself when an ending was not in the works. Some called her the Bleeding Child, for the color of the cloak she favored, and many other things beside.

There was one name, however, that clung to her above all others, and that was Little Red.

One day as the leaves were turning from green to brown, Little Red found herself walking the Winding Woods – draped in scarlet and gold, and carrying a basket filled with the tools of her craft.

She was alone, for every animal of the forest knew that when Little Red walked the path, they would do well to scurry back to their homes, lest she eat them right up.

There was one beast, however, that did not fear the Bleeding Child, and that was The Wolf – for she was clever and brave and the guardian of these woods.

When she saw Finality walking the path, she stepped towards her and said, "Little Red, the sky is clear, the sun is bright, and the woods are not your home. Tell me, what brings you here today?"

The child who was not a child replied, placing a pale hand on her basket, "Oh my dear Wolf, I am here for the only reason I am anywhere, because I have work to do."

The Wolf could feel the hairs on her neck rise, she knew all about this demon's work, "Little Red, no creature in this forest save I would dare cross your path, what work could bring you here?"

Finality smiled, her teeth as sharp as daggers, "There once was a young woman of great cunning – an arrogant, dangerous girl who dared to trick me. Now she is old and frail and sick, she will not be missed."

The Wolf knew this woman, and knew her to be kind, not dangerous. She would leave scraps of food for the other animals, and sang the most beautiful songs. She decided then and there, that she would not allow Little Red to have her, no matter what the cost.

"I understand that you must do what you must do, but tell me, must you also be in such a hurry? The sky is clear, the sun is bright, and these woods are filled with beauty."

Little Red watched The Wolf with hungry eyes, it was so rare that she found herself in the Winding Woods, and rarer still that she was asked to stay.

"You speak true Wolf. There are flowers here that bloom nowhere else, beautiful flowers that can turned to powerful magic by one such as I. I think I shall walk your woods a little while, and see them for myself."

Normally, The Wolf would never agree to this, but if Little Red was walking the path – she was not eating her friend.

The two parted ways then, the demon deeper into the forest, and The Wolf towards the Cunning Woman's home – as fast as her legs would carry.

When she arrived, she knocked on door.

"Cunning Woman, it is The Wolf, you must let me in."

"Must I now? I know you Wolf, and I know you are the guardian of this place. What is there to guard within my little home?"

"Little Red is walking the path, I've delayed her for the moment, but she will come for you today, please let me in."

The Cunning Woman opened the latch and let The Wolf in. Though she was as old as Little Red had mentioned, her eyes were still sharp, and as clear as the sky.

"Thank you Wolf for all that you've done, but I fear that if you wish to save me, there is still one more thing you must do."

"I am the guardian of these woods, if there is some way to save you, I will do what I must, no matter the cost."

At that, the Cunning Woman took clothes from her closet and dressed The Wolf in them, and with a wave of her hand, transformed the beast some completely that it could pass for her twin.

"You will lay in my bed, and when Little Red comes for me, you will trick her."

"How can I do that?"

"You are brave and strong, my Wolf, and I will give you the words."

"But she is Little Red."

"And that is exactly why this will work."

Little Red only left the forest after she had picked her fill of flowers. When she arrived at the Cunning Woman's home, she was surprised to find the door unlatched. She walked inside, and saw the woman laying in bed, just as she expected.

"Who is there? My vision is not what it used to be, please come closer." A voice, rougher than she remembered, greeted her.

"It's your friend, The Wolf." said Little Red, as she stepped towards the woman.

"Oh! It's good see you. But what happened to your hair, it's grown so short?"

"All the better to stroke your hand and comfort you with, my dear."

"Yes but what happened to your eyes, they've grown so pale?"

"All the better to see your smiling face with, my dear."

"But... but what happened to your teeth, they're like daggers, like...Little Red's!"

"Oh, yes, that is because I am Little Red, my dear, and I have work to do."

And with that, Little Red ate The Wolf all up.

The beast tried to struggle, but she was no match for the demon.

After eating her fill, Little Red was sated, believing she had finally taken revenge on her enemy for the earlier trick.

From that day forward, Little Red never again went in search of the Cunning Woman.