Lost And Found At Sea

First Draft

Darling,

I am writing today to let you know that I survived the fall. My ship was destroyed, and the entire rest of the crew was lost, but fortunately, I have always been a strong swimmer. With luck on my side and the grace of the gods, I came ashore only a few hours later, and found myself on an island so far removed from civilization, that it would make the darkest, deepest jungle village on the Continent, seem like the Grand Market at Akkarban.

I survived there for months on trees nuts, and a strange fruit that I now know as, "Kikimomo." It's quite delicious, with flesh like the freshest peach, and juice that tastes of anise and citrus. It's truly one of the delights of this island, if you can get past the fact that it brings on the strangest waking visions – day and evening – walking nightmares of bleeding things, and birds the size of Water Buffalo.

The natives seem quite comfortable with this mode of living, but I could never get used to watching the sky melt into glass every sunset.

These days, I subsist mostly on the nuts, and the Boar meat we secure on our weekly excursions into the bush.

I know this is not the sort of letter you would have expected, especially after you must have presumed me dead for nearly a year, so I will return to the point at once. I wanted to write to you today not only because I am alive, but also because, if nothing else, we have always been honest with one another.

And that honesty we share as husband and wife, is why I must tell you the truth, that I have decided to stay here on this island.

I beg you to understand that this decision has nothing to do with you, and does not come lightly. It is just that staying here has shown me a way of life, that my old life in the city, never could.

I thought the sea would cure me of my wanderlust, but as it turns out, only this happy accident could.

The air taste fresher, the light seems brighter, and my very heart beats stronger in my chest.

I feel really, truly alive for the first time in years.

I don't think there is much more that I can say about it, nothing at least that you are likely to understand. I just hope that you can understand, and that in time, you can also forgive me.

In the next few weeks, you will receive my wedding band, along with a few of the personal effects that I was able to rescue from the wreckage. I hope you will make better use of them than I could.

And I truly, deeply hope that you are doing well.

P.S. Please do not try to contact me at this address, you will not be able to reach me.

Yours always,

Allistor

Second Draft

Hello darling,

Good news, I'm still alive.

Bad news, I'm not coming home.

Check the post in a few weeks, the wedding set is in the mail.

P.S. Don't bother sending a reply.

Sorry,

Alli.

Final Draft

Dear Mrs. Catterwall,

My name is First Hand Reginald Barlow, and I am a survivor of the vessel that your husband, Allistor, was stationed aboard.

It is my deepest regret to inform you that our ship, and much of its crew, was lost at sea. It is my even greater regret to let you know that your husband was among those who were lost. I have spent the last nine months working with a crew of stout and determined sailors, to recover what we could from the ocean's depths.

In that time, we have managed to find your man's wedding band, along with a small number of his personal effects. These will be delivered to your home by post, with the greatest possible speed.

Please know that your husband died a hero, and that you should do your best to live a life worthy of him.

Finally, please do not attempt to contact me here, this address is only temporary, and any mail sent. is unlikely to reach me.

I wish you the best.

Yours,

Reginald