Chapter III

"It's not possible to save everything. Prioritize your goals." ~Uryuu Minene (Future Diary)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It all became so lovely
Those bluest skies above me
Those funny feelings I had never felt
Before I met you

As a child, I lived in a small village that was surrounded by a huge endless forest in a mountain. It wasn't all trees, though. Nearby, in the outskirts of the village was a flower field that the most beautiful flowers I've ever seen in my entire life would bloom out of. There were other villages in the mountain, but you had to walk through the forest first to get there, which takes a really long time. I lived in a small house with my mom. I never knew what happened to my dad. Whenever I ask, Mom would quickly change the subject and when I persist, she gets mad at me so I learned that it's a sensitive button I shouldn't press. There were only like 100 to 150 of us living in each village. Yeah, our world was not that populated. But that didn't mean we lived like normal people.

It was today that I was walking home from school in a white ruffled gown past my knees with a blue ribbon on my neck with matching blue sandals and a book bag when I saw that one of the empty houses looked like there was someone living in there. I knew I shouldn't talk to strangers, but I know everyone here. I told you before; it's a tiny village! It's easy to know everyone here! Still in my school clothes, I ran up to the house and knocked in the door. A brunette woman with a colonial-looking purple dress and a white apron opened the door. She smiled, "I assume you live here in this village?"

"Yeah," I replied. "I know everyone here in this village, except you! Who are you?"

"I'm Naminè's mother."

"Oh, that new blonde shy kid?"

"Yup, here she is now!"

I turned to see a girl with pale skin and rosy cheeks, blonde hair that is draped over her right shoulder, and in a sleeveless white gown with blue sandals. "Hi Mom." She greeted quietly.

"Hello, Naminè!" Her mom greeted. "You have a guest today! Her name is..."

"Sakura," I told her. "You can call me Saki for short! Everybody here calls me that!"

"Sakura came by today to meet us! Isn't that nice of her?" Naminè's mom explained. "Let's show her around. Want to come and see our house?"

"Yeah!" I said as she led us inside.

*~*~*~*~*~

I'd thought I stay a while
I tried to learn to smile
So many colors I had never even known

I learned that Naminè and her mom are artists. They have tons of drawings, both completed and not completed, drawn in various styles all over their house. They make a living by selling them. Naminè is pretty shy so she didn't make friends with the other kids. She only wanted to be friends with me. She said I was the trustworthy type for her. Funny thing is, no one knows where Naminè and her mom came from. They said they just appeared here from the forest, bought a house, and began living here.

Naminè and I were in the flower fields today after school, our book bags discarded to the side as we picked flowers for our parents. "Saki?" I heard my mom call as I stood up from where I was bending down, plucking the flower before doing so. "Can you come over? It's important."

I turned and ran to where my mother was, a colorful bouquet in hand. My mother had jet-black hair and icy blue eyes, like mine. She wore a traditional white kimono with a red collar with red and yellow trim where you folded the robe over her body and a red sash secured with a yellow decorative rope. All over the kimono there were flowers outlines in various colors, almost matching the bouquet in my arms. She smiled at me, "I have something for you."