Chapter IX

"But I think...I want to live with all of my memories. Even if they're bad memories. Even that they're memories that'll hurt me...that I'd rather forget. If I keep them and keep trying, without running away, then someday I'll be strong enough that those memories can't defeat me. I believe that because I want to think that there's no such thing as a memory that's okay to forget." ~Momiji Sohma (Fruits Basket)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The Riku puppet stood by Naminè and I, glancing around occasionally to see any intruders were in the room. The door in front of us opened and Sora, Donald, and Goofy walk in. "He's gone," Sora said. "Thanks for protecting them, Riku."

"Not real, fake," Riku reminded him once more. "I don't remember where, when, or why I was created. But I do know that these memories of Sora and Naminè inside me, are fake."

"Gee, Naminè, can you work your magic on Riku?" Goofy asked.

"Well..." She started.

"That's okay, I'll deal," the Riku puppet said.

"Riku! You're you and nobody else!" Sora yelled words of encouragement. "You have your own heart inside of you. Those memories and feelings you have are special!"

"Sora, you're a good guy," the Riku puppey smiled. "I don't need to have feelings to know how you feel. That's good enough."

The Riku puppet turned and walked down the hall. "Riku!" Sora cried. The Riku puppet didn't turn around. "Riku..."

"Can you bring our memories back?" Donald asked.

"Yes," Naminè replied. "Not remembering something doesn't really mean it's gone."

"What d'ya mean?" Goofy questioned.

"When you remember a thing, that's leads to remembering another thing-and then another and then another. Our memories are connected. Many pieces are linked together, just like a chain-that makes up each of us. I don't actually erase any memories-just take apart the links and rearrange them. You still have all your memories." Naminè explained.

"So you can put them back together?" Sora asked.

"Yes, but first, I have to undo all the chains of the memories I made on my own," Naminè continued. "After I done that, I have to gather up the memories scattered across each of your hearts and connect them. It might take a while, but I think it'll work. It's my turn to look after you."

"All right, we all trust you," Sora nodded.

"Wait a second!" A cricket in a suit jumped out of the hood of Sora's shirt. "If you have to undo the links you made, that means..."

"Yes, you won't remember anything about what happened here," She sighed.

"Not even you?" Gasped Sora.

"I'm sorry," Naminè apologized. "It's the only way, I'm afraid. Sora, you have choice. You can lose your memories of this castle and reclaim your old ones...or keep your memories here and give up the lost ones."

"Do I have to...to choose?" Sora sighed.

"Yes," Naminè nodded.

Sora thought for a minute. Donald and Goofy exchanged nervous glances. "Make me that I was." He requested.

Naminè flinched, then laughed nervously, even though hurt was obvious in her tone, "Oh, okay," Naminè smiled painfully. "Nobody needs to keep a bunch of memories that aren't real, right? You want to remember of the people who are important to you. Anybody would choose that."

Naminè lead them to a huge, empty, white room with an lotus-shaped machine in the center of it. "To remember again, we have to sleep in that?" Donald asked.

"Yes, it's going to take a little time, but we'll take care of you," Naminè said.

"Gwarsh, when we wake up, we won't be able to remember you anymore," Goofy pondered. "So how are we going to say thank you?"

"I'll write a big note in my journal that says 'Thank Naminè' so we can remember to thank her," The cricket said.

"Oh, that makes me feel better," Donald sighed. "Good night, Naminè."

"Good night, Naminè," Goofy added.

"Good night," She said.

"Sleep tight!" I smiled.

When they left, we turned to Sora. "Sora, this may of started with a lie...but I'm glad I could meet you, Sora," Naminè smiled. "Now it's time to say goodbye."

"No, not goodbye!" Sora cried. "When I wake up, I'll find you. And then, there will be no lies. We're gonna be friends for real. Promise me, Naminè."

She smiled, "You're going to forget that promise."

"Even if you undo the chains, the links will still be there," Sora stated. "That means this promise will be inside of me, somewhere."

"Maybe," She shrugged. Obviously that theory was a stretch, but still plausible.

Sora stretched out his pinky and Naminè stretched out hers. Their pinkies linked together for a couple of seconds before Sora put his hand down and climbed into the machine. It began to close. "Once you remember everything, you'll remember that girl who you could never replace. Your light. Your light in the darkness. The girl who gave you that good luck charm," Naminè explained.

Sora pulled something out of his pocket and looked at it as the machine finally closed. "Don't I have to go into one?" I asked. "After all; my memories are messed up, too."

"You don't have to," Naminè replied. "Once I fix Sora's, your memories will return to normal again because you're connected to him."

"Naminè, even when I remember everything again, you'll always be my best friend," I promised.

"Oh?" She turned towards me. "Why?"

"Because, you remind me of that red-haired girl," I replied. "I have a feeling she was my best friend too."