Chapter XIV

"Just because you keep doing the right thing, doesn't mean you're guaranteed a happy ending." ~Junko Kaname (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The next few days were awkward with Axel. He came, dropping off my meals and trying to coax an answer out of me, but I refused to talk, still angry at Axel for how he lied to me in Castle Oblivion. But every time he left, I watched him enter the passcode for my mirror and leave the place, slowly memorizing the code to my prison. He was the only one who visits me, probably thinking that our previous, short-lived friendship will get me to reveal what the Organization XIII wants to know.

I slowly planned my escape with the time periods between when Axel visited me. They obviously confiscated my dagger, and without being able to use a Keyblade, I was defenseless except being able to shoot a few fireballs with the small amount of raw magic I had on me.

Today, I decided to make my escape. Just a few minutes as I finished my lunch, I slowly crept up to the prison door, slowing looking around outside the prison to see if anyone was coming. When I saw no one, I slowly began to enter the code, recalling it over and over inside my head from staring at his reflection subtly as he left my cage.

When I entered the code, I push the door open without any issue and I stood by the doorway of my prison bars, heart pounding. My ankle had recovered from Saïx's attack and although I was unequipped I could summon a few fireballs as a means of distraction/defense. All I had to do was exit the castle and I'll be okay.

I bolted up the stairs and into the hallways of wherever I was imprisoned, where I saw Saïx. He froze when he saw me but his darkened as he strided towards to me. "How did you escape your prison?" He growled.

I shot a fireball in his face as a response. He roared as he recovered from the burn as I bolted down the hallway, looking for a big room like a common room for members to meet up casually to look for an exit.

I had to stop because even the adrenaline inside wasn't enough to fuel my stamina entirely. I was bent over, leaning against the wall, panting as I caught my breath with short gasps. I saw Saïx round the corner and sprint towards me, claymore out and that scared me. He raised it up and brought it down at the spot where I stood and rest. I immediately jumped back in order to avoid getting crushed and flinched at the crater the attack left on the floor. I then fired a fireball at him to distract him as I made a run for it once again.

I stopped again after that short burst and I knew that if I used another fireball at Saïx I would be out of magic. I spotted a closet, opening the door and seeing that it was full of bedding and towels save for the bottom shelf and I climbed in, curling up as small as I could and hiding in there.

I heard Saïx stalk by the closet. I clasped my hand over my mouth and nose to conceal my loud breaths. "Where are you?!" Saïx roared as he struck the ground with the claymore. I held my hand over my mouth tighter in order not to squeak, as I am sure the impact of that attack will leave a mark on the ground. "You can't hide from me forever!"

As he passed, I waited for a few minutes. I'd knew he will surely return and look in the closet and when he finds me I will be trapped here. I slowly opened the door and slipped out, quietly closing the door and running down the corridor and I was in luck, as I entered a huge common room for the Organization members. There were a few couches in the center with rugs and dresser tables to hold a few lamps. The outer walls were windows and I could see the forever-night sky where a yellow heart-shaped moon sat proudly above, its rays of light shining down into the room. I spotted a huge doorless doorway where I could see the outside of the castle. I made a run for it to exit the castle when a claymore striking behind my feet caused me to jump as I looked back.

Saïx stood at the other end of the room, arm still out as he glared at me. He had thrown his weapon at me in trying to hit me but miraculously missed. I tried to exit the castle but two strangely-colored creatures that wielded the same weapon as he did suddenly appeared and blocked the doorway. I turned around seeing Saïx close in on me. He grabbed my arm with a vice-like grip, causing me to cry out as he began to drag me back to my prison. "If Axel can't do his job and get the information out of you, then I will," he darkly growled.

I gulped at his words. Clearly, this wasn't an empty threat. He was going to take all necessary means to squeeze the information out of me. I heard a familiar battle cry and I heard the sound of the creatures poofing and I turned to see Riku standing in the castle, Keyblade drawn. He glowered at Saïx, not saying a single word. "Imposter!" Saïx shouted as he released me and summoned his claymore once more, getting into battle stance as I sprinted back to Riku and hid behind him.

"I will destroy you once and for all!" Saïx shouted as he jumped Riku, lifting his claymore up as he prepared to slam it down on Riku but Riku blocked it by holding his Keyblade vertically and as he two weapons collided, I noticed Riku was having a hard time fending off Saïx so I summoned a fireball in my hand and threw it right into Saïx's face. That surprised Saïx enough that he fell back on his attack and gripped his face, glaring at us and growling. He then jumped forward and slashed Riku a few times with his claymore to which Riku blocked with his Keyblade as he stepped back and I followed so he can reduce the force of the attack. It then occurred to me that Riku was playing defense not only to save energy but so he can step back more and more until we were out of this building and can make a run for it.

Saïx then drew it weapon back and pushed it forward, like he was spearing something and Riku leaned to the side to dodge the attack but I was slower as the tips of the claymore pierced my side and I froze, pain rushing to the spot where I was hurt and my nerves screaming at me. I saw Riku's hooded head glance over at me and noticed my frozen state and his head followed down my body to where the claymore had pierced me and froze as well. Saïx smirked as he drew back the claymore. I saw blood coat the tip but there wasn't a waterfall of blood coming out of my puncture wound, thankfully. I clutched my side as I fell down, scooting back on my bottom. Riku took the cue and backed away subtly, pretending to be shocked as we prepared to make a run for it.

Once Saïx took a step towards us, Riku didn't wait any longer. He scooped me up, bridal-style as he bolted out of the building, leaving a slightly shocked Saïx who recovered quickly and chased after us. Riku rounded the corner where a Corridor of Darkness stood and leapt right into it, closing up immediately behind him as we went through. He sprinted through the void and leapt through an open portal and we were back at the Haunted Mansion.

Riku panted as he fell on his knees and put me on the ground, and I laid there, still clutching my side in pain. I was in so much shock and so scared at what had happened to me that I hadn't even reacted to the situation yet. Once Riku recovered and steadied his breathing he lifted the Keyblade above me and a lotus flower with green sparkles appeared, causing my wound to close. I took a glance at my side and saw the scar it had left behind.

"I-I'm sorry...I couldn't protect you," Riku muttered as he pulled off the hood so I could see his face.

"Oh no..." I breathed, finally recovering from the shock as I hugged myself, trembling. "You came just in time. I'm not mad. I'm...just glad that I am alive."

I shuddered as I bit my lip in fear, remembering the chase with Saïx and the marks he left on the floor during the chase.

What I saw at Castle Oblivion was nothing. This was the true power of the Organization XIII. And it scared me to death.