14. A Wall Almost Kills Me

"Venom. He's here... in Camp Half-Blood. You have to come. Now."

Uh, oh.

"Mom" I looked at my mother like it was the last time I would ever see her, which could be true,"if I don't get back... I love you..."

"You're going out... To fight him?" my mom asked.

"Yeah" I said looking at the ground. "I have to. People could die, some of them are my friends. I can't let them get killed. I have to do this. For Peter."

My mom studied my face, she looked at me with a sad expression. Like she knew that I had to do this.

"Please stay safe."

We hugged again, my mom tightening her grasp on me and then she let go as I quickly got up, put my suit on, and swung outside.

***

I swung to Thalia's tree to see Annabeth there standing nervously.

"You're late" she said.

"Where's Venom?" I asked her promptly.

"We don't know. He came here. We saw a black figure jump into a tree and that's where he's been since. I told the whole camp that Venom was out to destroy the camp. I don't know how he got through the barrier. Everyone is asking for you."

"Well, here I am."

"No. They've been wanting to know where Percy was. You might be in your suit, but you aren't Percy Jackson. You're Spider-Man."

Annabeth was right. The campers didn't know that I was behind the suit.

"That's not our problem now" I said. "Our problem is Venom. We need all the campers we can get to fight."

"Nico shadow traveled and brought Jason and Piper here to help. Frank and Hazel are a little busy at Camp Jupiter."

It would'be been great to have Frank's muscles and Hazel's mist but what we had now was also good.

"Hey Annabeth" a voice called behind her. Piper.

When she came up fully the hill, she saw me in my suit. "Annabeth. Who's your friend?"

Annabeth turned to me, biting her lip. "This is... someone who is here to help."

Piper nodded. "Cool. Do you know where Percy is?"

I wanted to say, I'm right here!, but I couldn't.

"Uh, he's visiting his mom... in the hospital. She, uh, broke her leg" Annabeth said.

Piper looked at her, skeptically. Then she turned to me. "Do you know the black figure?"

"Yes. I can help you stop him."

Piper knit her eyebrows. "You sound just like Percy."

"Percy? Sounds like a nice name" I said, hoping Piper would drop the subject.

Realization spread across Piper's face. Wait... you are Per-"

She was cut off because a big explosion rocked the whole camp.

Venom was just beginning his destruction.

***

I swung ahead of Annabeth and Piper.

Another boom rocked the camp. It sounded like it was near the Big House.

I quickly arrived to the big house to see a ballista near it with no cannon balls in.

The big house took a big hit. 2 cannon ball marks were near the door. It looked like it was about to collapse.

"Help" a voice croaked under the rubble. Chiron...

In slow motion, I watched the Big House crumble down.

Before the wall could crush Chiron, I quickly rushed to the falling wall and got under it with my shoulders.

Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as holding up the sky but it was still heavy.

"Run" I said to Chiron as the wall felt like it was getting heavier.

Chiron's horse hind legs were in odd angles. He used his arms to push him away from the Big House. Campers ran to help him.

"WELL WELL WELL. LOOK WHO DECIDED TO SHOW UP" Venom's horrible voice said behind me.