Chapter 44 - Alyssa.

Chapter 44 - Alyssa.

"Why didn't you tell me that Will Palmer is your ex-boyfriend?"

I'm currently sitting in the courtyard with Irene, having lunch. The sun is getting brighter these days, so we can go outside more.

I just stare at her when she asks the question, and wonder how she found out. I lean forward and look down at the floor. "Do you fancy him?"

"No!" She leans back, looking sheepish. "Actually, Martin and I sort of, um, well we are going out now." As I widen my eyes and sit up straighter, she hurries on to exclaim, "But that's not what we were talking about! After that car ride, why didn't you tell me? I knew that something was up with you."

I frown and shake my head, before biting my apple. After chewing and swallowing, I say, "I just- I didn't want to cause a load of drama. Anyway, how did you find out?"

She doesn't look satisfied with my answer, but it will have to do. She sighs and rolls her eyes. "When your boyfriend came over that night I went clubbing. Call me crazy, I know. I heard Martin and Anthony saying they were going so I just went. Turns out it was Sterling's birthday, and they didn't even invite me! Anyway, I saw Martin and we talked, then Will and this Japanese looking girl arrived and Will was . . . Asking about you and Jack, and the Japanese girl told me that he was your ex-boyfriend. Do you think she is his girlfriend?"

I sigh and roll my eyes. "I don't know. And I don't care. He can go out with who he wants, and he can break whoever's heart he wants. I don't give a damn."

-

I leave as quickly as I can to get home for Easter when the holidays come. Jack is at work when I arrive back, so I stay at home, waiting for my parents to get back from work and my brother to get back from school.

As I'm making soup for my lunch, Katy comes ringing the doorbell, and she stays over for lunch until Niall comes. She updates me about her university life, and sighs and looks serious all of a sudden.

"Have you seen Will?"

"Yeah." I frown. "He's taken to just saying hi randomly to me every time I see him. But he isn't . . . Being all forceful like before."

Katy slowly leans back, sipping her water. Then she sighs. "I know this sounds . . . Stupid. But I miss him, sometimes."

I almost say 'me too', but I don't know if that is the right thing to say because he was my boyfriend, not just a friend, and I have Jack now. So I sit there, looking like a goldfish until I close my mouth and sigh.

"I just miss the old times, you know?" Katy whispers.

And so I nod, very slowly. And all of a sudden I want to be sick.

Looking at my remaining soup in front of me is just making my stomach churn, and I manage to say, "God," before running away, because I really am going to be sick, and making it to the downstairs bathroom just in time, I throw my breakfast and lunch up into the toilet.

"Alyssa!"

I stand back and flush everything away, horrified. I haven't been sick in ages, years even, and usually it takes a lot for me to throw up because I always try so hard to hold it down. I stand there, panting, as Katy appears by my side.

"Oh, God! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you sick! I won't talk about Will again," Katy exclaims, all in a rush, as I wipe my mouth and then go to the sink, splashing some water onto my face.

"I feel rubbish."

All of a sudden, I do. My arms are shaking, and Katy rushes after me as I go back to the kitchen and sit down, refusing to look at any food otherwise I'll just throw up again.