Chapter 5 - Sunshine and Fitness Tests

Skye had no idea what to expect from this next class. Whatever she imagined, it was nothing like the site that greeted her when they stepped outside to the field. People were everywhere and so much was going on that Skye didn't know where to look first. Jane noticed her confusion. "Mondays and Fridays are a free for all at PE. Coach Garrett and Coach May don't usually care what we do as long as it is physical. Pepper and I were going to play jump rope. Wanna come?"

"Naah, jump rope involves coordination, which isn't really my thing. I might be over in a little bit. I want to look around." They waved goodbye to each other and went off in separate directions.

Skye walked around the huge field and was shocked to see someone flying above her with actual wings. She couldn't tell if they were attached to him mechanically, or a part of his anatomy, but he was flying. He noticed her looking, and waved. She waved back stupidly, not knowing quite how to react to someone flying above her.

Her attention was diverted again by two boys. "Excuse me," said a boy in a blue shirt and athletic pants with strange silvery hair, in an accent that she couldn't identify. "You are the new girl, right? Skye?" She nodded to him. "Well, my friend Barry and I need an impartial judge, and as you are new, you'll do nicely." Skye looked at the other boy. He was dressed similar to the first, only his pants were black and his red t-shirt had a yellow bolt of lightning in the middle of it.

"Ummm......Okay. Sure. What do I have to do?"

"Very easy. Just tell us when to go and hold up both of your hands. Then, tell us who touches your hand first." The boy in the red replied. "What do you think, Pietro? Once around the grounds?"

"I think that you are going to lose!" The silver haired boy took his mark and grinned at Skye. "Start us off, if you please."

She shrugged. "Well, okay. At least this gets me out of having to do anything physical to make a fool out of myself on my first day. On your mark. Get set. GO!" She felt a whoosh of wind as the two boys disappeared in a blur. Skye barely got her arms up before she felt both of her hands being slapped, the force of which sent her tumbling to the ground. Both boys stopped over her, laughing. Neither of them even breaking a sweat.

The silver haired boy put out his hand to help her up. "So who won?"

"I have no idea! As far as I could tell, you both tagged me at the same time. Besides, how can I even be sure that you both made a full trip around the grounds? I couldn't follow you with my eyes." She wiped grass off of her jeans.

"Fair point," he replied as he looked at his friend and smiled. "I am Pietro Maximoff, and this is Barry Allen. My code name is Quicksilver and he goes by The Flash. We are both sixth graders. I have a twin sister. Her name is Wanda, and she also goes by Scarlet Witch." He motioned to a far side of the field where a small girl was standing alone making strange shapes with her hands, causing red balls to go flying in the air and explode.

"What is she doing?" Skye asked him, not taking her eyes off the girl.

He shrugged. "Red stuff."

"Ahhh," she replied. "That's helpful."

He grinned at her. "Actually it is!" With that, he and his friend took off again and disappeared.

Skye walked on, taking in everything going on around her. She had no idea that there were this many people with so many different special abilities. She saw Loki from her math class, and when he caught her eye, he grinned and shape shifted into a perfect copy of that Stephen Strange boy who had yelled at him in class. He waved and snuck off into the woods. Oh, that's not going to be good! She thought as she watched him disappear.