Chapter 12 - Time Lords and Boys

At dinner that night almost all the conversation involved what happened before their special interest classes. Pietro apologized for grabbing Skye and carrying her away, but she assured him that even though it made her feel a bit sick, it was actually pretty awesome. Wanda wasn't sure whether to be proud of her brother's actions or horrified, but was relieved when she heard that Skye wasn't mad at him for it. Skye thanked Loki for defending her, but took the time to tell him and the rest of the table what Ward had said.

"He said that those guys would surely be coming after Loki, and warned me to stay away and not get caught in the middle. "

Loki laughed. "Yes, I am very worried about a group of people with three brain cells between them."

"I don't know Loki, they seemed pretty angry," Jane replied. "Please be careful."

Thor's booming voice echoed through the room. "My brother so valiantly defended Lady Skye's honor. None would dare to seek retaliation for such courageous actions!" He looked severely over at a table of STRIKE members.

**********

Later in their room, Wanda and Skye were hanging out with Natasha and Jemma. Jemma was still giddy over Rhodey coming to talk to her about joining their team, and Skye was relieved that Tony hadn't told anyone that it was her idea. "He was ever so polite and kind," she gushed as the other girls just laughed. "Then he was so brave during the confrontation!"

"Jemma and Rhodey sitting in a tree...." Natasha sang, causing Jemma to turn very red and bury her head in her hands.

Skye grinned at Natasha. "Speaking of trees, wouldn't that song be more appropriate for you and Clint? He apparently likes hanging out in trees."

"Ewwww! No!" Natasha shook her head repeatedly. "Don't get me wrong, Clint is a really sweet guy and I adore him, but he's like a brother to me. He isn't my boyfriend!"

"Really? I just assumed that you two were a thing," Skye wished that she hadn't said anything at all.

"When I started school here in 6th grade, I had a bit of a hard time adjusting. I was a pretty angry kid, and most of the other kids were afraid of me, I guess. Clint made a different call, and became my friend. We've been best friends ever since. Now Bucky, he's kind of adorable, and knows Russian too!" They all fell into giggles again.

Catching her breath, Jemma looked at Wanda. "Skye's only been here two days, so we won't bug her, but what about you, Wanda? Since we're all confessing, anything you'd like to share?"

Wanda smiled slightly. "Oh, I am not sure if he would even notice me, but I find Stephen Strange to be utterly fascinating. That said, I probably wouldn't turn down an invitation to the New Year's dance from Clark Kent either."

"I know him! He is my science lab partner. Seems like a really nice guy, but based on the way he is always staring at her, I think he might have a thing for Carol Danvers," Skye grinned. "So we have dances here?"

All three girls answered at once. Apparently there were three. The New Year's dance, a dance in late February and an end of the year semi-formal dance. Listening to them all talk about the dances, Skye groaned internally. One of the middle schools that she attended for 6th grade had a dance, but of course, no one wanted to ask the weird girl to go. She ended up switching foster families and schools before it happened anyway.

"Can't I just skip them, or go alone?"

"Oh, why would you want to skip it?" Jemma answered. "There are a lot more boys here at this school than girls, so I'd imagine most girls don't go alone."