Chapter 26 - Gauntlets and Group Activities

In the days that followed Christmas, most of the kids who had gone away began returning for New Years. Jemma returned right before New Year's Eve and was super excited because her parents had given her three seasons of a show called Sherlock, which was sort of a modern take on the stories of Sherlock Holmes, on DVD for Christmas. She was hoping that it could replace Doctor Who, which they finished before the holidays, as a show for all of them to watch together.

They watched the first episode that night, and Skye really enjoyed it. So did Stephen Strange. "That Benedict Cumberbatch guy is a great actor," he said admiringly, after the episode ended.

"What?" Tony looked over at him like he was crazy. "I suppose he's good, but I prefer Sherlock Holmes in the movies. Robert Downy Jr. really knows how to make a mystery entertaining. I like to imagine that if a movie were ever made about my life, he'd play me."

"Who would ever make a movie of your life, Tony?" Bruce shook his head in disbelief at his friend's enormous ego. "Besides, while both Sherlock's are good, the very best Sherlock is found in the books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. A Study in Scarlet, which is what the episode that we just watched is based on, is excellent. I have it, if you'd like to read it."

"Ummm......Okay, buddy. Whatever you say." Tony turned to Skye. "Hey! Tomorrow at 9:00am, we've got plans, okay? Meet you for breakfast? Wanda, you too." Skye and Wanda both looked at him curiously. "Oh, just trust me!"

Before she could ask him about what sort of plans, Thor's voice came booming through the room. "My friends! It is good to be back and to see you all!" He stopped next to Jane, who was grinning from ear to ear. "Especially you, Lady Jane! I trust you had a wonderful holiday?" She nodded at him happily.

Skye was surprised not to see Loki trailing behind him. "Hey, Thor? Where are you hiding your brother?"

"Oh. My brother has chosen to spend a few more days in Asgard."

"Oh! But he'll miss the dance," Jane said, looking surprised.

"Yes. I don't believe he cares much for the dance. The lady he wished to go with was already taken. His loss!" Thor took a seat next to Jane and they began talking about their break.

**********

The next morning, Skye and Wanda made their way down for breakfast. She was surprised to find not only Tony waiting for them, but Jemma, Bruce, Clint, Steve and Bucky as well. Steve was carrying his giant shield.

"So what is this about, Tony?"

"Shhh! You'll see in a little bit," Tony grinned. "Sam was going to come too, but he got in very late last night. He told me to tell you that he would see you later."

"Whatever you have planned involves all of these people?"

"Well, no. Some are just along for the fun of it all," he grinned at her. "We should go soon. We've got a long walk ahead of us."

The snow from Christmas had almost completely melted, and the sun was out. It was still a chilly day, but the sun made it feel a little warmer. It didn't take Skye and Wanda long to realize that they were making the long trek to the practice field where they usually met Professor Magneto, and Skye was more curious than ever about what Tony had planned. When they arrived, she discovered that whatever it was, it apparently not only involved Professor Magneto, but Professor Richards and Professor Pym as well. Wanda seemed just as surprised as she was.

"So Skye. Since I drew your name for Christmas, I have something for you. Obviously though, this was more of a group project," Tony said. "Jemma, Bruce, Fitz and I have been working on it in Engineering with a lot of help from these three wonderful professors." Tony stopped and gestured to the men standing there. Professor Richards handed Tony a box that he had been holding. He, in turn, passed it to Skye.