Chapter 21 - Facing the Fury

Skye was so happy to be back at school and for things to be back to normal. Well, mostly normal. She was still slow to do most things, but every day it got better and by the end of the week, she was feeling pretty good. She had limited participation in PE, but Coach May was happy to give her plenty of exercise that didn't involve her arms. The same was true in Tai Chi. She still expected Skye to do what she could and even suggested that the movement might help in her recovery.

A week after she returned to school, Mr. Sitwell showed up in homeroom with a note for Skye from Principal Fury, as well as an offer for her to come in to chat with him if she felt she needed to. Skye took the note, but declined his offer politely. When homeroom was over, she read the note from the principal.

Ms. Skye,

It was unfortunate that I had to leave suddenly after the competition on Saturday, and did not get to the medical facility to see you. I hope you are doing well. I would appreciate it if you would stop by my office before PE today, so that we can discuss any problems that might have occurred during the event.

Sincerely,

Principal Fury

Skye re-read the note. Great! She thought to herself. Now I'm going to get in trouble. She tucked the note into her bag and spent the rest of the morning thinking about all of the horrible things that could happen. Would they kick her out? Force her not to take part in any more events? She showed the letter to Pepper and Sam after science, since they usually walked to PE together.

"I'm doomed, aren't I?"

"No way!" Sam looked at the letter again. "You didn't do anything wrong!"

Pepper smiled at her encouragingly. "I agree with Sam. You caused no one to get hurt, well, except for yourself, so what would you get in trouble for?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. I just have a bad feeling about it. This is the kind of thing that always happens to me."

"You'll be fine. Come find us when you get back to PE, okay?" Sam pushed her along toward the office.

**********

She walked into the office just barely before the bell rang. When she entered, she was surprised to find Grant Ward and Brock Rumlow sitting in chairs outside of the principal's office. They both looked up at her when she walked in, Rumlow curiously, and Ward with a big grin.

The door opened, and Vice Principal Hill asked Skye to step inside, before following her in and closing the door behind them.

Principal Fury was seated behind a giant mahogany desk, and Vice Principal Hill took a seat to his right.

"Hello, Ms. Skye." He gestured to an empty seat in front of the desk. "I hope you are feeling better. Please have a seat."

She sat down nervously, having to force herself to stop fiddling with her bottom lip. They sat there together quietly for a few moments, before he spoke again.

"Skye, I called you in here because I wanted to make sure that there were not any problems that we needed to be made aware of."

"What do you mean, sir?" She looked down at the floor, purposely avoiding his eyes.

"Well, most people don't leave our school contests unconscious."

"Sir, you know that I kind of hurt myself, right?" She held up her arms to indicate the black casts that she was wearing.