Chapter 28 - Blizzards and Victory Kisses

When school resumed in January, Principal Fury announced that there would be a school-wide competition the first week of February. Natasha and Peggy took this news very seriously, and began drawing up practice schedules for every possible event. Skye was surprised to find out that neither of them were letting her off the hook with sparring, so she still continued to practice that along with the visits with Professor Magneto to get better at using her gauntlets and also using her ability without them.

She also made sure to spend as much time as possible on her computer, since she hoped that there would be a challenge for that. She'd take her laptop and sit outside while others played volleyball or basketball when it wasn't too cold. When it was cold, she'd find some quiet corner in the Commons. Sometimes Felicity would join her, and Bruce Wayne and Tony would complain that it was just wrong for them to work together, since they were on opposite teams, but neither of them cared. They also started bringing their laptops again on Saturday mornings for archery, both girls spending more and more time on their laptops than actually learning archery, much to Clint and Oliver's discontent.

On top of all this, Skye still had school work and the general drama of middle school. Loki returned the day before school resumed, and was very unhappy to find out that Thor had told everyone why he decided to stay in Asgard. It took him the better part of a week to get over it, and until he did, Skye was reminded of the surly kid that he seemed to be when she first met him. That made working on math together a somewhat unpleasant experience, and she began to work more with Bruce Wayne or Bruce Banner. He did finally apologize to everyone for his mood, which improved as the days went on.

Tony was still unhappy with Pepper, and that only got worse when it became obvious that Bruce Wayne and Pepper were not just a one dance thing. Pepper wouldn't say that he was her boyfriend, but they were always walking in the hallways together and when she stayed for dinner, he always ate with her, which meant with them. Skye didn't mind at all. Bruce was a nice guy, even if he was a bit brooding. Tony, however, started suggesting quietly that perhaps they should sit in the dining hall the way they sat in lunch, with Bruce on the other side of the room.

**********

It was a week before the competition and Skye was sitting in Computer Science waiting for the class to start while attempting to hack into the school's system again, when Tony came in waving a piece of paper excitedly.

"They finally released the events for the competition next week!" He sat down between Fitz and Skye. "We are meeting after Special Interests in Professor Coulson's room to plan. Don't be late."

"Please tell me there is a science event?" Fitz looked at him hopefully.

"Sure is. Computers too, Skye."

"Oh good," Skye laughed. "I hope it isn't breaking into the school's system, because that is way too easy." Skye showed them her screen. She had stopped changing the dinner and lunch menus once she realized it was causing problems in the kitchens, and instead began harmlessly adding pages to the school's internal website and sending the links to Professor Collins. She heard his laptop ding, and laughed as he looked up at her and smiled.

Skye and Tony were taking Professor Collins' Computers Special Interest class this session, so they walked together to Professor Coulson's classroom afterward. Most of the group had already arrived, and were talking excitedly about the events. Professor Coulson allowed them to cover the window on his door with paper, so no one could peek in, but Peter still stood by the door to watch, just in case.

This event was much different from their event after Halloween. There were all sorts of challenges and after each one, points were awarded based on place. Some of the challenges were odd, but Skye realized that the teachers were trying to play to as many talents as they could.