Chapter 46 - School Wide Contests and Computers

The Science team of Jane, Bruce, Fitz and Simmons had already left for their event well before the rest of the team started making their way to the school. Skye was really wishing that Computers had been first so that it would be over, and she could enjoy watching the rest of the competition. This was so different than their competition with STRIKE Halloween weekend. Everyone was involved. It was both exciting and terrifying at the same time.

As they were walking in the woods, Peter Quill and Drax caught up with them. Skye noticed immediately that they had new shirts. Instead of their Guardians of the Galaxy shirts that they normally wore even when they competed with the Defenders, these shirts had both team symbols and stated their team name as the Defenders of the Galaxy.

"Hey guys," Skye said. "I like your new shirts and team name. That's awesome."

Peter grinned. "Well, we always seem to team up, so we thought it sounded catchy."

"It is. Who is doing science for your team?"

Drax answered before Peter could. "Stephen Strange and Scott Lang. I assume you will have Banner, Jane and Fitzsimmons?"

Clint nodded and grinned. "Yep. I like our odds on that one, too."

His comment made her turn and poke him right in the chest. "That reminds me, buddy. There better be no betting with Oliver on the computer competition. Do you understand me?" She giggled at his attempt to look innocent. "That is, if you both don't want to be clearing tables from the entire dining room after dinner tonight."

Peter and Drax both laughed at Clint. "Man, she's really got your number doesn't she, Barton?" Peter said to his roommate. "I'm happy to tell on him, Skye. He and Oliver were discussing it in our room just yesterday."

Clint grumbled at Peter, but Skye could tell that he was trying not to laugh. "Way to rat me out, Peter! What happened to the roommate code? I've had a girlfriend for all of 30 minutes now, and you are already trying to cause me trouble!"

Skye was taken aback at Clint's causal use of girlfriend to describe her. Not that she minded, of course, it was just something that would take some time to get used to. She noticed him look at her immediately after using the word, almost like it was strange for him too. She winked at him to let him know that she didn't mind.

Peter looked from Clint to Skye and chuckled. "Skye, thank you for taking away the moping mess that has been my roommate for the last few months. You are a saint." Peter took her hand and bowed to her, grinning at Clint the whole time. Clint just punched Peter in the arm.

"Does that smooth operator act actually work on girls, Peter?" She laughed as she took her hand back from him.

"Often. I'm usually much smoother, but seeing as how you're my roommate's girl, I didn't want to turn the charm on too much."

Before Skye could reply, Brie Larvan and Laurel Lance both came up on the other side of Peter and looked at him with dreamy eyes. "Hi Peter!" They both cooed in unison before looking at each other angrily. She and Clint both laughed as Peter just smiled at the two girls, stepped between them both and offered his arm to each of them.

"Peter has no sense of self-preservation," Drax chuckled. "Brie is going to the dance with Floyd Lawton, and I don't think he'll take too kindly to Peter's flirting. I'll go break this up." He waved before hurrying after them.

**********

The science event was being held in the gym. Six stations had been set up around the room, and everyone else took seats on the bleachers to watch. It was very noisy in there while the teams met with Professor Richards to get instructions and learn the rules. When they returned to their stations, a hush fell over the crowd. Professor Coulson looked encouraging as always as he chatted with the SHIELD/Avengers, but Skye couldn't help noticing that the team looked pretty nervous. When Professor Coulson left, Skye caught Jemma's eye and gave her an encouraging smile. Jemma returned it, but she looked like she might be a little sick.