Chapter 20 - Exploding Planets and Reading Minds

Skye was allowed to leave Tuesday before lunch. Before she left, Dr. Storm took her casts off to x-ray her arms. With the casts off, she could see that the bruises had gone from an angry red to a deep blue.

Skye was grateful that Wanda had brought her a pull over shirt with no buttons, and a pair of loose fitting leggings. It was slow and painful, but Skye managed to get dressed on her own. She also had to promise to keep the arm casts on at all times.

The dorm was completely empty because everyone was at school. Storm had come to collect her from the medical wing and escort her to her room. On the way, they stopped by the dining room, where Skye was given a bag lunch and a milk carton by the chef. She felt a wave of guilt when the kind woman asked Storm if there was any news on who was changing her menus and throwing the kitchen into an uproar. Skye vowed to find some other way to prove her mastery of the school's security system to Professor Collins.

When they got to her room, Storm stayed around for a bit to make sure that she was able to get settled. She sat on their little couch, glancing through Skye's math book, while Skye busied herself putting things away and eating her lunch.

"Ahhhh the good old days!" She laughed and sat the book back on Skye's desk. "You know, I was in the first class of kids at Xavier's first school. I know, I know. It seems like a long time ago. Professor Xavier wanted a place where kids like us would be able to be ourselves without the fear of others judging us or treating us badly. There were very few of us in that first group. This is so much bigger. Back then, it was all ages in his giant mansion not too far from here. It wasn't as organized. We didn't realize that there were so many people similar to us back then, and now we've filled a middle school and will start the high school next year."

"Did you feel like you fit in?" Skye asked her curiously.

"Well, maybe not at first. I was afraid to show anyone what I could do, but soon everyone was feeling comfortable enough. Our worries became things that were more normal for our age."

"Well, I guess if Professor Xavier wanted you to have a normal school experience, he accomplished that."

She laughed. "Yes, I guess he did. We are all lucky. Can you imagine what it was like for people like us before we knew about each other?"

"Well, sort of. I didn't really know that there were other people like me until I saw Peter Parker crawling on the wall of my foster family's house."

Storm laughed. "You should get some rest. In a few hours everyone will be back, and you aren't going to be given a moments peace. Let me know if you need anything, okay?"

"Yes ma'am. Thank you for everything."

After Storm left, Skye laid down on her bed with the book that Bruce had loaned her intending to read. Soon, she was fast asleep.

**********

A few hours later, Skye awoke to whispers. "Shhh! She is sleeping." Skye recognized Wanda's voice.

She forced her eyes open and sat up slowly. "No, no. It's okay. I'm awake. If I sleep too much, I'll be up all night." Wanda, Pietro and Peter came around the corner.

"Are you feeling okay? Do you want me to kick the boys out?"

"Naah. I'm fine. Glad to be out of that bed." She attempted to move herself up against the wall, but without the arm support, it was proving to be awkward. A whoosh of wind flew up toward her, and she found herself quickly, but gently, propped up against the wall, with her pillow behind her back for support. Pietro was sitting on his sister's bed, looking around the room innocently and whistling a tune.