IV

Draco scowled, "No chance Professor, I am not working with Potter."

"Yes you are Mr Malfoy, or I'll be having a chat with Professor Snape."

Draco's pale face went pink, "Do you think I care," he muttered so Slughorn couldn't hear.

Professor Slughorns voice boomed around the small room. "The instructions are on page 108, you may begin to make it with your partners now."

Ron went of with Amanda and shot Harry an 'I'm sorry' look. Hermione also looked at Harry and gave him a knowing smirk.

Harry opened up his Advanced Potion Making book and panicked, how would he be able to make such a hard potion without the princes book? Draco would surely alert a teacher if he discovered how Harry was receiving such outstanding marks.

"Well do you want to, you know... find a table?" said Harry gracelessly.

Draco shot him a murderous look. "Why, out of everyone, am I stuck with you?"

"Do you think I want to go with you?" Harry shot back.

Draco scowled and set out his potion things on a nearby table. "Just ensure you make an expectable potion, I need this mark."

Harry said nothing, if he made a decent potion it would be the ideal approach to impress Draco, the only problem would be making one without Draco finding out about the Half-blood Prince.

While Harry measured out the ingredients he had a hard time ignoring Draco's usual taunts and insults.

"What an fascinating tale, Peeves pouring water on you, but you're not fooling anyone other than that imbecilic teacher, you obviously got wet while out with that half-breed. What new monster has he smuggled into the school this time? I always wondered how the ministry they him stay, but you wait, when the Dark lord is back in power all half breeds, mudbloods and muggles will be gone."

Harry disregarded Draco and continued pouring the bat eyes into a small cup. But Draco who was furious with Harry's lack of interest continued on an alternate subject.

"I wager you and that blood traitor and mud blood have spent the whole summer coming up with more ways to get attention. And what are they calling you these days, 'The chosen one' what a load of rubbish anyone who knows you knows you can't even do even the simplest of spells."

"Well I bet Voldemort two years prior so I ponder what you think of him." Harry shot back.

Draco went pink again and hissed, "you think you're so  brave calling him by his real name, just you wait, you'll be dead by the end of the year, you along with all your mudblood friends. And after that the Dark lord will treat my family and those who support him  superior than anyone."

"Oh yes, I'm certain he will just adore your family. I thought your dad was in prison, hiding from Voldemort."

Draco's face went a dangerous shade of red. "By the end of the year we will be one of his closest supporters."

Harry didn't bother answering back, they had a potion to make and the vast majority of their  peers had already started. Harry ought that the only way to make the potion was to secretly take a gander at the book when Draco wasn't looking.

For the following hour Draco and Harry worked. Their potion was by far the best even though harry couldn't look at the book properly. Indeed Draco's remarks had ceased because he was in such a decent state of mind.

While Draco was busy stirring the potion harry snuck another look at his book. The potion was almost exactly like the book said it ought to be however, it didn't induce quite the shade of lilac it was intended to have, the Prince instructed that another pinch of powdered Unicorn horn would improve it.

Harry looked at Draco. He was busy concentrating on the potion and he was smiling, a proper smile. Harry's insides began to squirm (Harry always thought he looked best when he was smiling).

While Draco turned around Harry picked up a bit of unicorn horn and went to drop it into the bubbling potion.

"STOP!" Draco grabbed Harry's arm, "what are you doing?"

"Shut up Malfoy," Harry whispered back as all the people in the classes heads began to turn. "This will make the potion better."

'Is everything alright Harry?' Came Slughorns voice from behind.

'" yes, we were just.... It's fine."

Slughorn smiled, "well carry on, I can't wait to see it"

As soon as Slughorn went away Draco scowled at Harry. "We already added the Unicorn horn we don't need anymore or the potion will be ruined."

"Just trust me, I know what I'm doing", replied Harry in a hushed voice.

Draco seemed to be in torment when he muttered, "fine."

Harry added the unicorns horn and the potion promptly improved. Draco smiled again and Harry's face felt like it was ablaze.

"A few more drops of water and it ought to be done" Said Harry to break the silence.

Draco nodded and added the drops, when he finished to potion looked exactly like the book instructed.

"Alright times up", said Professor Slughorn he came around to each table and wrote a couple of notes down. Everyone else potions weren't nearly as good as theirs.

Slughorn looked at Harry's and Draco's potion and immediately smiled. "Perfect! Better than even I could have done!" Draco beamed.

Slughorn spoke to the rest of the class, "come around, that's it, look here at Draco's and Harry's potion." After talking a bit more Slughorn instructed that the pairs go back and record what they smell in the potion.

He turned back to Draco and Harry, "perfect boys, perfect that will receive top marks" he winked and walked away.

Draco smiled wildly at Harry, "Did you hear him Harry? He called it perfect!"

Harry nodded and made an effort not to faint, it was the first time Draco had called him simply 'Harry'.

"Lets record the scents then, you first," he said awkwardly.

With an odd expression Draco smelled the potion and wrote down 'Rain, butterbeer and mint'.

Harry bent down and smelled the potion as well. Treacle tart, broomstick polish and....

Draco

Well his hair anyway.

With a red face Harry wrote down 'Cinnamon' just as the bell rang.