XX

Hello again. I haven't visited this story in a while but I thought I should add the last chapter I never published so it isn't left unfinished. 

Also this scene has jumped forward and is set about a month or two after the war.

***

Draco had thought he would never see snow again. But as a reminder of miracles, Draco had woken on his first morning of freedom after the war to the delicate covering of white. But all was not well.

When Harry Potters name was besmirched by The Daily Prophet many years ago Draco had never considered how despicable it made a person feel. He understood now.

"DRACO MALFOY INNOCENT OF DEATH EATER INVOLVEMENT, COURT FINDS" screamed the front page of the paper, to the public's dismay. It seemed every witch and wizard in London was eagerly awaiting for Draco to be sentenced to life in Azkaban, where he could rot alongside his father. 

The public did little to hide their outrage. Draco had apparated into Diagon alley a mere five minutes ago and had already endured hisses of insults and spits directed towards his feet. One old witch had even thrown a jinx at him. He had to dart behind a toffee apple stand to avoid it.

Draco stalked through the streets, with his large black coat swirling behind him in the sharp winds. His countenance was hard and reserved, his eyes seemingly skimming over people's snarls with an effortless indifference. It was only as Draco passed the window of the Leaky Cauldron that his elegant demeanor halted to a sudden stop. 

The man on the other side of the glass stirred sugar into his cup of tea, either pretending to be oblivious to the stares and whispers of others, or perhaps so used to it he no longer noticed. His back was turned to Draco but he knew it was Harry Potter. Draco could have identified him by the skin on his elbow if needed, as if that black, unruly hair wasn't enough. 

 Draco allowed himself to watch for a few longing moments before a wet ball of snow hit his back. He spun around sharply just in time to see the small party of young boys hurtle another snow ball, this time missing his head and slamming against the glass window.

"Death Eater!" one yelled as the boys scurried away, hooting.

Draco sighed, it seemed this would be his daily life henceforth. He adjusted his black coat and brushed the slush from his back. 

"Draco?  Is that you?" A voice came from behind, hesitant and curious.

Draco turned to Harry who stood in the doorway of the Leaky Cauldron. His hollow cheeks revealed the emaciation that his baggy clothes hid. His hair was longer and stubble  resided on his cheeks, but the rounded glasses and vibrate green of his eye assured Draco he was the same Harry potter.

"Potter," Draco acknowledged him with a nod.

Harry gestured to the door, "Come in, we should talk."

Draco hesitated, "I don't know if we should.'

"please"

Harry walked back into the building and Draco followed cautiously behind him. Harry gestured for him to sit and poured steaming tea into a second mug.

"Freezing today, isn't it?

"Quite." Draco shifted uncomfortably in his seat and cleared his throat, "How have you been?"

"I've been getting along. It's been hard to move on from everything, but I'm getting there." Harry smiled sadly, "what about yourself"

"I'm not sure how I feel.  I spent months preparing myself for a life in Azkaban, there was no doubt in my mind that I would end up there. I haven't planned for his, I  think the verdict shocked me more than anyone," Draco confessed.

"It didn't shock me. It would be unfair if you were  found guilty." 

Draco shook his head, "I knew what I was doing, I'm as guilty as my father. I should be in prison,  just like everyone else thinks."

Harry frowned, "Those boys-"

"Their actions were justified."

Harry grabbed his hand, "No, you had no choice, Draco. We were children caught up in something far, far too big for yourself. The court would not have found you innocent unless they were certain. Especially, not with everyone begging for Death Eater blood."

Draco stared deep in Harry's eyes, an inquiring expression on his face. "You know, I've heard some curious rumors."

Harry retracted his hand, "Yes, rumors are plentiful these days."

"I think the nature of this one would interest you."

"Go on."

"I have heard you had some influence on my hearing. That the court was divided until you gave an unexpected yet thought-provoking speech that convinced almost all the hearers of my innocence."

Harry offered no answer and drank deeply from his mug.

"Well?'

"You ought not to believe everything you hear, Draco."

"Harry, why would you do that? I'm thankful, of course, but it was risky and unnecessary."

Harry looked sharply up with dark, intense eyes, "They don't know the real you Draco, but I do. I know you're innocent and any fool with half a brain can see that too. I won't see any more innocent blood spilled."

"Harry, I don't know what to say. You-"

Draco was interrupted by a loud clicking and flashes of blinding white light. A reporter, no doubt working for the Daily Prophet, was snapping frantically from the other side of the window.

Draco rolled his eyes, "Should we move to another table?"

"No," Harry said, the tip of his tongue wetting his lips. "Let's give him something for the front page."

Harry clasped Draco's collar with both hands and pulled their faces together until their lips met. Draco froze at first, but with the taste of Harry's lips he soon melted into him. It was a sensation he had thought he would never feel again, Draco have quite forgotten the rose-coloured joy that erupted within him every time they had touched.

When they pulled away Draco was too dazed to notice the cameras clicking or the shocked faces of everyone surrounding them.

All he could see was Harry, and his heart surged with love. 

The End 

***

Thank you for reading xx

and check out my other works if you like?