Chapter 21

vote/comment/laugh/cry/live

Deimos POV

Unpredictable. That was the word to describe her. From the moment I laid eyes on her I should of known. Almost everything she had done had caught me off guard. Even now, her determination was an irritation; it always had my defenses up. The way her blazing red eyes pierced my own irritated me even more. All these things plus her mere existence reawakened the bond, harshly forcing a tie to be created between me and the mortal, which angered me. I didn't want a connection. Not now.

Unpredictable. That's what she was.

I stared at the kid, 'Elliot' and narrowed my eyes.

I couldn't read her. This is what really made her unpredictable.

I knew everyone. I could read any wolf's mind like an open book, thanks to a long forgotten art called Mindlink; which allowed me to basically read anyone's mind. Memories, actions, thoughts, all of it could be read by my mind. That was how I obtained the memories of Blaez's childhood, and how I learned the names of the werewolves I called. Ever since I learned the ability, it had never failed on anyone.

Until now.

After trying it one more time I realized that my Mindlink was somehow unconsciously being blocked by Elliot. She was making things even harder.

"Why won't you answer me. . . Deimos?" I looked down at the teary eyed Elliot, who suddenly made me remember something very important. I stepped past her and looked down at the silent crowd ahead of us.

"You should of saved your celebrations for later; cuz' you all aren't out of the woods yet." I turned away from the crowd before me and headed towards the bag I dropped when I ripped Blaez arm off. I picked it up and then walked back towards them, stopping next to my silent Mate. "And this is the reason why. . ."

I turned over the bag, allowing the head to fall out of the bag. It rolled through the snow; creating a trail of red as it slowly made its way down the hill towards the crowd. When it finally stopped moving, everyone gasped and took a step back as they realized what it was.

"What. . . what's that?!"

"That isn't werewolf. . . But it isn't human either. . ."

"M-monster!"

A mixture of surprised and fearful voices punctured my ear drums and I sighed.

"Enough", I commanded. Everyone silenced themselves but still stared fearfully at the head I easily rolled down the hill. I watched as an Elder from the pack came forward. She pointed at the head and I allowed her to speak.

"That head. . . it's a Vulcan's head isn't it?" she asked shakily.

"Yes it is."

He looked at me with wide eyes. "I-I thought they were. . .-"

"Extinct? No no no.  Asleep probably. Hibernating maybe. But dead? Of course not. She's more immortal than I am," I crossed my arms over my chest.

"By she, do you mean. . ."

"The Vulcan Queen. The one that controls every one of those things", I pointed at the head. "Somebody woke her up and drove her out of her hiding place. Now she's out looking for bodies."