A Stroll Down Memory Lane

This is a pretty long chapter.... Sorry! It's just my little Merlin flash back. Once again, please let me remind you that I do not own Merlin! What you are about to read never actually happened! Please comment! Really, I will not post the next chapter until I get at least three comments or votes on this chapter. Let's see if this actually works. If not, I'll still post, I'll just take my time.

The memories surprised me, with their vividness. When I spoke to Gaius about Tessrach, I didn't actually pay attention to my words, but in all fairness, I couldn't. The memories unfolded like I was back there; kids with Will, playing in the tall grass. And then that girl walked up to us.

Will and I weren't usually the type of boys that girls wanted to meet. We were Ealdor's very own little trouble makers, and girls tended to dislike trouble. They wanted a more quiet, simple life. They wanted sweet, quiet boys, who made good decisions. They didn't want me and Will. 

Of course, I never meant to make trouble. It just always happened. Once, I accidentally set fire to a pile of horse hay, and another time I transported a nice girl's dress into my house. I never actually found out how I did it, but I did. The people would ask me to explain my actions later, but I couldn't. I didn't know what I was doing yet. My mother was a life savor at these points. She would make up a believable lie about what had happened, beat me in front of the neighbors, and then dragged me inside the house to explain why I could never use magic. Will was never as bad as me, but everybody expected so much from him, with a knighted dad. But Will simply couldn't be that person. I guess I was lucky. Nobody expected anything from a fatherless boy. 

So, the fact that a pretty girl wanted to join a bastard and disappointment had us both surprised. She sat across from us on the ground. Her legs crossed in front of her in a very unlady-like manor that let us see up her skirt. I wasn't too interested. I was far happier looking at the girl's face, actually. I looked at her face just in time too, because as I did, the girl grinned a beautiful grin that made both Will and I hold back chuckles. 

"Hi! I'm Tessrach. My father died, so my mother moved in with my uncle. I live here now. Who are you?" Will and I glanced at each other and both grinned. We were twelve years old, and wanted to experiment with love. This girl was pretty, sweet, and out there, as far as we could tell. 

"I'm Will." My friend introduced himself, then waited a moment for me to talk. I didn't talk to girls. Couldn't. I really only ever spoke to Will and my mother. I wasn't shy around them, or anything, it was just that people thought I was supposed to love them, but I didn't. So, Will just decided that he wanted to talk for me, "And this is Merlin. He's shy around girls." I felt embarrassed and betrayed for just a moment. The fact that a girl was sitting there watching me didn't matter anymore. Will had just challenged me, and I never just backed down. 

"Am not!" I argued, although my cheeks started to feel a little warmer as a light blush crept up on them. 

"You really are!" Will argued, and I simply sighed. I wasn't in the arguing mood right then, I suppose. I bowed my head in submission, and when I looked up, Tessrach surprised us both a second time, now she was giggling.

"You two are funny!" She exclaimed, putting a smile onto both of her faces. It was obvious who she thought was funnier, though. She kept glancing at him, and then looking away. She liked Will already. I knew that no girl's would ever look at me like that. While Will's head was slightly rectangular, there was a strong build, tallness, dark hair, sweet face, and a nice smile, for those who got to see it. Meanwhile, I was skinny, weak, pale, and black haired. Nobody ever looked at me, but everybody noticed Will's good looks. 

Will and Tessrach got along better than well, and we all became close friends. It was more about those two, though, and I was in the background. It was always like that after twelve years old. I didn't mind too much, and everything kinda spun around Tessrach anyways. She was the leader, and made all of the day's decisions.