Glass

Merlin’s POV:

I didn’t cry. Not one tear, even though I wanted to

After all, it could have turned out either way, right? When I told Arthur, a part of me must have expected the rebound…

So why did it hurt so much? Arthur’s words somehow made me feel as though I were breaking apart into millions of tiny splinters and scattered across Albion.

I felt shattered.

Maybe that’s why I couldn’t bring myself to tears.

I was simply unable to pull together enough of myself to feel anything besides a throbbing, sore, empty numbness.

How could the world be so stupid? It chose the wrong person. It used the failure.

How did I keep ending up here? Reliving the same thing over and over again was pure hell. It was exactly the same as it had been before. Only, this time, I had nowhere and nobody left to turn to.

Maybe, somewhere somehow, I could find Gwen, and we could suffer together. We had both picked the same poison from the same person. We had both made the stupid mistake to pick love.

Even Gaius had to be working with patients. He wouldn’t know that I had been banished until I had already gone. My last moments in Camelot would be spent alone.

Nimbly, stiffly, I made my way towards my bedroom with a small bag to collect the few possessions I could bring with me.

It only took a couple minutes, but every second felt like its own hour, while each minute seemed to be only half a second.

I didn’t want to go, but I had run out of time.

Poor little Merlin, I thought miserably, raising the bag over my shoulder, not even good enough to fulfill his own destiny.

At that, I laughed bitterly.

It was somewhat ironic, actually. I hadn’t wanted that fate in the first place. I had been so upset, so angry at my consequences.

Not that it mattered much anymore.

Granted, it was exhausting to protect an ass king all the time, but I had never thought….

I never wanted to leave.

Yet here I was, exiting the physician’s chambers, my home.

I simply walked out, keeping my eyes lowered and my head down. I never looked back. That would mean seeing my home with the knowledge I would never see it again. Between that seeing my home one last time, or the sadness that would obviously come with it, I couldn’t choose.

Looking back, however, was something I could no longer afford to do.

I wondered, just slightly, if Arthur watched from his window as I departed from our adventures, our shared history, and our love.

I couldn’t help but wonder if it had upset him.

I knew Arthur had been taught to put his mind in front of his heart. He made so many painful decisions, without ever giving himself even the smallest break. Everything would be so much worse if Arthur was hurting as well.

I was almost gone anyways, and Arthur would get over me. There was nothing I could do besides leave.

“I’m sorry Arthur…” The whisper was small and hoarse. I hadn’t even intended to say anything.

One more step and I would be outside of Camelot.

Just one step….

I stopped.

How could I? How was I supposed to leave now for good?

But I had to… It was just another step, not too difficult.

I closed my eyes, sucking in a deep breath and lifting one foot before hesitantly pushing it forward and-

“Merlin!” I was caught, one foot in the air, by a hand on my shoulder. A glance confirmed that it was the young knight, Eric.

“I heard what happened… Tess told me everything,” What? What had Tessrach told Eric? When were they even friends?

“A-About what?”

Eric quickly looked around to make sure the coast was clear before leaning in, answering with a secretive whisper, “The magic.”

I jumped back. Now I really had to go. If more people found out Arthur would have no choice. If banishing me didn’t hurt, killing me definitely would. I didn’t know what to say, but I had to convince Eric that Tessrach was either mistaken or lying.

“W-Wha… I… I don’t…. Do I seem like the…. Magic is-”

To my absolute shock, Eric laughed, “Calm down, Merlin! Me too, but I’m not as good as she says you are…”

“Oh…” Was I supposed to say something? What if it was a lie?

“I also know what happened with King Arthur…” Eric’s voice, amused only moments ago, was now serious. “And I can lead you to a good Druid camp. It moves, though, so I’d have to give you this….” From a pocket, Eric pulled a necklace with a bright blue stone.

It was obviously magic, and I accepted it with a frown, putting it around my neck, “Thank you, Eric…. You didn’t have to…” There was writing on it. Although the chain was still around my neck, I picked up the blue stone.

átæsan andfeng bist sum céapcniht be hé se eardgiefu se stán

What did that translate to…. to wear this is to be…. a slave…. to he that gifts you the stone…. I must have gotten something wrong

“Eric… Doesn’t céapcniht mean-”

“Stop talking” And I couldn’t. Suddenly, I was unable to say a single word. Every syllable stuck in my throat. It felt as if I were choking.

Eric looked so cheerful, “Merlin, it means you’re mine now!”

I wanted to run, to pull the necklace off and shatter it on the ground, but my body wouldn’t follow any instructions.

“Now then, Merlin, I think we should go see Tess. Come along,” Eric sauntered down a path, and I had no choice but to follow.

Author's Note:

Guten tag and buenos días to my amazing friends in Germany and Spain! I could probably never read a story in the language besides my native tongue! So thank you guys very very much for taking the time and effort to read this :)

hahahaha, *evil author's voice* Yeah, but I'm sorry. You'll see what happens. Shoutout to A_TardisBlueImpala! Wait 'till you see just how close you are XD 

Sorry for taking so long to update.... It's been forever. I tried to make the chapter decent, even if it's not an entirely long one.... 

And I promise to update sooner this time! Come on guys, pressure me! The more you all urge me on the faster and harder i write ^-^

What else? I always love MrsWho42 for reviewing and editing this story! She always inspires me and makes me feel more confident in my writing! 

Thank you for reading this far!

As always, comment and vote, just to let me know you're reading and enjoying. It makes me happy to know someone likes this enough to spend their time reading it. 

Adiós and Auf Wiedersehen and goodbye for now! Love you all <3