And We're Off

I woke up in a comfortable bed to a brightly lit room that was not my own. It was familiar, though, and I quickly recognized it as Gwen's.

For just a moment, I had forgotten how I got here. I tried to recount yesterday's events. I was lying in bed... then searching... then Arthur.... Oh, right. Just the thought of Arthur made me want to flip over and bury my face into Gwen's old pillow. But this meant that today was tomorrow. No, it was today that we were going to search Morgana's fortress. Judging by the brightness in the light, it was already two hours past dawn, which meant that the others may have been looking for me.

I stood from the bed, still wearing my jacket and neckerchief, and ran to the door. I was going to run out, as well, but something stopped me before I made it across the door way. I turned back to give my good friend's home one last glance.

It wasn't really so dusty, as it had appeared to be last night. There was a little bit of dirt, in some places, but nothing too horrible. Everything was still orderly from Gwen's last day. The cupboards were closed, although I was sure that they were empty. The floor had been kept mostly clean, and the chairs had all been pushed underneath the table. The only unorderly thing in the room was the bed. I hadn't made it when I woke up.

The bed was actually quite comfortable, despite Arthur's horror stories. It was soft, warm, and whoever lay down in it would sink right into the mattress. Arthur's was probably better, yes, but this one was still fine.

After glancing around the room, and allowing a couple memories to seep into my head. I turned to the door, and left, closing it behind me. From here I made my way to the castle.

Arthur stopped me, as soon as I was in the main square. He was in his getting things done mood, which meant that he would speak quickly and nearly without pause.

"Merlin! Where have you been? Everybody's been waiting for you! Go get food for a week, you'll be cooking for five. Be ready. Beyond, that I don't really care what you chose to bring... What are you waiting for, Merlin? Go! Get ready!" So I was off again.

I was surprised, once I reached Gaius's chambers,by a large bag already packed full of the belongings that I would need to take. There was a little extra clothing, some bandages, a book to occupy me in case I got bored, and a... small stack of papers with a quill and sealed ink well. I tried to ignore that, as I looked at the other things. Grain and vegetables that would last quite a while, but strangely no meat.

I looked around but saw no sign of Gaius himself. He was probably busy elsewhere. I didn't mind to much, although I would have liked to say goodbye. I couldn't, though, so I supposed I should just go outside, meet with Arthur, then ride of to the castle.

He was where he had been earlier, ordering people around the square. There were exactly 34 horses lined up side by side. I wondered what the extra four horses would be used for. Maybe it was just extra baggage.

Arthur seemed to notice me, and beckoned me over. I complied at once, and found Myself standing by Arthur's side. He was already talking to a group of five, all dressed as peasants. Arthur himself wore simple clothes, which was somewhat surprising, as he always thought them uncomfortable.

He was finishing up the conversation with the group.

"So, just to make sure we got this right, we're supposed to just run if somebody spots us?"

"Yes. That's it. Just run."

"And if we're caught?"

"Fight,"

"And if we fail?"

"Hope that you don't," The men, understanding that this was the end of the conversation, walked to their horses. Arthur turned to me, suddenly looking tired.

"Merlin, I need to talk to you about this mission, " I already know what Arthur wanted to say, but I responded anyhow.

"What about it?"

"You're very important to it," 

"For cooking the food right?" I didn't mean to make my voice sarcastic, but sarcastic it was. Arthur glanced at me strangely but then visibly shook it off. 

"Do you know how we're doing this?"

"No," That was a lie.

"Well, we're going to send a group of men into Morgana's castle to map it out," Arthur awaited a response.

"Really?" Again with the sarcasm.

"We need good leaders...." 

"Do you?" 

"I want you to lead the groups within the castle, because I, myself can not," 

"And why can't you?" 

"Well... Because... Morgana's army is sure to know who I am. There's a chance that they won't be able to recognize you,"

"Fine, then," 

"Is everything all right, Merlin?" Is everything alright? How could it be worse.

"Yeah, everything's just fine," 

"You can tell me, you know... If anything is wrong," 

"I know," How did he expect me to tell him this?

"Alright, then. Let's get going,' I nodded at Arthur and attached my bag to the saddle of a horse. I then got up myself. Arthur was already on his, which was directly next to me. The four extra horses, I realized, were not for bags and tents, but for Eric, Arthur, Gaius ("Just in case," Arthur had said), and... myself. 

Gaius smiled at me, but I had trouble returning it. Arthur led the group by kicking his horse into a gallop. Everyone followed his pace.

We were on our way to Morgana's fortress. 

Author's Note: So, I know. It's a short and boring chapter, but I still hope you like it. Tell me what you think! I promise that tomorrow's chapter will be better...

Just for fun, if you comment tell me if you own a bodice! I'm getting my very own tomorrow evening, and I'm so excited! It's a double layer purple and black skirt (Purple on top), black bodice, although it flips to light purple, and embroidered chemise. I may or may not add a waist sash later. I'm gonna wear it to the renaissance festival so that I can pretend to know Merlin! It'll be so cool! Back to the original point, in the comments write if you own a bodice or not, corsets are alright too, but bodices are cooler, and tell me any interesting or funny Merlin or Renaissance Festival stories you have. The winner will get the next chapter's donation.