The Boy Who Looked Like Arthur

There was definitely a chill in the air, It wasn't helped by the bleak grey stone, or the other's walking around. Those others looked just as we did, dressed in colorless clothing, but they stared straight ahead as they went about their business. They were completely focused on their tasks. Most walked alone, although some were in small groups.

I tried to imitate their glassy-eyed stare as we entered through the unlocked main gates. Without looking, I knew that the big group was separating behind me, and going off in their own ways. I silently wished them well.

Now it was my turn. I tried to keep the bile from rising in my throat with nervousness. As the leader, I was going to map the main part of town and I was to map out the Great Hall by entering through the main doors. We would be out in the open the entire time. What fun...

Everything was going well, surprisingly. By the time we began mapping the empty Great Hall, my nervousness had very nearly disappeared. We were going to succeed, and everybody would be safe, and Arthur would be proud, and he might give me a hug, and he could start admiring and respecting me.... I was daydreaming again.

We mapped out the Great Hall quickly and easily, getting every lose brick, floorboard, murder hole, and other potential trap. There were two exits in the room. It was so simple for Morgana, I had expected all the traps to be more complex. In fact, there was only one complex trap, but it would be the most difficult to find and the one to spoil the good day.

That one, as it turned out, had been built with the castle. It could be reached a number of ways, but only if the searcher knew exactly what it was and how to get there. As, when the castle was first built, many high priestess' came to bless The Lord who was to live in it. This was when they heard about the Lord's fear of being attacked, and his wife and small children being harmed. The women, caring deeply about their Lord's family, cast a spell that allowed the family to walk throughout the castle unseen. When the castle fell to the ground, the amazingly strong spell stayed in place. Morgana rebuilt the castle to the exact same layout it had once been, and strengthened the spell. She could now move around in invisibly. If only I had know this then.

"Find the leader and the rest of the groups," A clear cold voice came from right behind a corner. We all knew who's voice it was, and moved as far away as we could as silently as we could. We all knelt behind a stone railing on the stairs. It was amazing that Morgana hadn't noticed us yet, honestly. 

Suddenly, there was a sound like drumming below us as a large group ran up the stairs. I spun fully around, facing the noise, and almost tripped over the stairs, as I tried to get into a depressing version of Arthur's fighting position.The only reason I didn't go tumbling down the stairs was that a man managed to grab my arm and hold me upright. I smiled sheepishly at him in thanks. 

Just then, all of Camelot's other knights came running up the stairs, not even bothering to mask their noise. I could only be thankful that they weren't in full armor. They all stared up to me when they saw us. I put my index finger to my lip in order to symbolize silence, then I pointed to the direction Morgana was in. The men seemed to understand, but one of the older ones just had to open his mouth and nearly yell to me.

"Merlin! You're doing very well leading, and all, but Morgana knows that we're here! We need to get out of here as soon as possible, otherwise they'll find us and our maps, and you'll fail as leader!" Okay, I think he did actually yell. I winced at the man's voice, and a moment later, Morgana was rounding the bend. 

"Oh, I think we've found the rest of the men. Their leader, as well," Morgana smiled at her people, and gave a short, quick, hardly noticeable nod. Suddenly ten men were rushing at us, and, as Arthur had earlier commanded we do, we ran.

We ran as fast as we could possibly run, but it wasn't nearly fast enough. I took running step, but found that there was nothing to put my foot down on. Only air was below me, and the ground was steadily growing further away. We had been tossed. As soon as I realized that I wasn't on the ground, I collided with something cold, hard, and bumpy, before falling back to the ground. Walls hurt. A lot.