Arrival

I couldn't fall asleep again. No, there was absolutely no way that I could possibly fall asleep again. As difficult as it was to stay up, I didn't want to risk having that dream again, because, honestly, that dream scared me. Just knowing that it would happen, and that I would be stuck in that situation... I didn't like that idea very much.

It would be boring to stay up, as well. The sun hadn't even risen yet, and it had gotten too dark to move around easily without getting hurt. I could use magic, but I would risk getting caught. I carefully exited the tent, then lit a small flame in my cupped hands. Using this, I went to the horses to get the book Gaius had packed, and carried it down to the stream. I stood on the stream bank with my book in one hand and the flame in another, wondering how to climb onto a rock.

"æfenléohte eorða. Min éaghill ánhaga." I spoke. The flame disappeared from my hand, and a globe of warm evening light appeared above a rock in the water where I could sit. I had cast the spell so that as soon as Arthur got close enough to see it, the light would be gone.

With my book tucked under my arm, I scrambled over the rocks above water until I got to the one underneath my light. Here, I opened up my book and began to read.

The book focused on the history of dragons, and I found it quite interesting, especially when I found Kilghara's name.

'One of the wisest and greatest dragons, Kilgharrah, was extremely looked up to by others of his kind. He was known to have studied more of the Druid stories and ways of reading destinies than all the other dragons combined. In his youth, at just 280 years old, Kilgharrah became an expert in the future. According to those who knew him, he had a great interest in the boy known as Emrys, who was destined to form Albion. Unfortunately, he was one of the first captured during the time known as the Great Purge. According to other dragons, this was surprising. Kilgharrah was one of the most amazing dragons, and would have never been captured unless he let himself. It is now thought that he had given himself up to be a guide for Emrys when the boy arrived to Camelot.'

Hmm... That was interesting. Did it mean Kilgharrah had made his sacrifice for me? If he had, he obviously regretted it later. I remembered his reaction when he was let go. All of that death and destruction; there was no way he could have agreed with his decision later.

I continued reading by my little globe of light until the sun began to come up. Then the light disappeared and I closed the book, carrying it back up to the campsite.

Nobody was awake yet, so I made us some breakfast and packed up what I could. I had cleaned up the fire as well, so that nobody would know we had been here.

In a couple minutes, Eric exited his tent, then began to pack it up. Arthur soon followed, but he sat down to breakfast. I quickly went to his tent and began to pack it up. I would do Gaius's as well. After all, out of the entire group I was the only servant.

Gaius didn't wake up for a little while, so I was able to eat my breakfast between taking down the two tents. As soon as I finished, Gaius was out of the tent. I was taking down his tent as the others ate, but left the bundles that the tents made on the ground. The others could secure them to the saddles themselves.

By that time, I was able to gather all the dishes and take then down to the stream for washing. It was quick and I was back to the campsite just as the others finished securing everything onto the saddles. I wished Arthur luck with calling me a useless idiot now. I just did more or less everything.

"Merlin, you idiot!" Oh, so maybe he could call me an idiot... "You forgot to groom the horses last night!" I inwardly groaned. I thought Gaius had done that.

"Sorry, Sire," I apologized hurriedly, "I'll do it tonight,"

We all mounted our horses, and set off. Another full day of riding was ahead.