Blind Date

Surprisingly, I was allowed to have a long night's sleep, which actually lasted to the day, and Arthur didn't bother me once. Gaius fed me with one of my favorite meals, and expressed how worried he had been about my supposedly near-death experience. When I only rolled my eyes and told him I was fine now, Gaius started theorizing about Tessrach.

Tessrach was a completely different matter. Since I had gotten better, I had also been completely at ease, which was strange, because, although I had felt as if Tessrach was the cause of my episode, I also knew that she had been the one to save me. Ideas and thoughts ran through my head, as I wondered, and wondered.

Maybe Tessrach wasn't all too bad. Maybe the cave had all just been one big mistake. But, then, why hadn't she gotten help? And why did she mysteriously disappear directly afterwards. My second thought was that Tessrach had been possessed. I remembered the invisible woman, but how had we disturbed her? The third idea was that maybe Tessrach had been bad from the start. Nobody ever wanted to be with Will and I, and perhaps she was just there to play her own twisted version of a game. But, to be that good at acting by fourteen years old... Well, maybe that wasn't it either. But I simply couldn't find out what was going on. Tessrach was a puzzle, plain and simple.

The day was full of a nice type of normal. Gaius and I spent most of it talking, and the rest of it either making potions, delivering potions, getting ingredients for potions, or seeing the clients. Most of it was potions, though.

Potions were fine, I supposed, if you had nothing better to do with your time, but I did. Or, I would. Apparently, Arthur had gotten George to serve him again, so that I would get a break. I wasn't able to complain to him, seeing that he was careful to stay out of my way, but it still hurt. Especially when Arthur sent George to check on me, mid-day.

He had knocked on the door, then waited for a reply before entering. Gaius had opened the door for him, while I sat, hunched over a nice bowl of stew. There was no one more annoying to me then George. Well, besides maybe Cornelius Segan, but he was a completely different story. Sometimes, I felt like people were trying to steal my job, and honestly, I had the best job in Camelot.

Sure, between mucking out the stables, polishing armor, mending boots, washing clothes, cleaning rooms, making beds, sharpening swords, fetching meals, and dealing with a prat going by the name of Arthur, people might think that the job sucked. As for me, I was just happy to be by Arthur's side. It was a privilege, even if he was a bit of a self-centered prat. Arthur was my friend, and I was happy to serve him until the day I died.

So, basically, George just annoyed me. How could that simple boy even hope to feel as privileged by being near Arthur as I did? Sometimes, it just seemed so unfair that Arthur could just use another servant like that, while I was right here, ready to work.

That's why it annoyed me when George entered the room, not even glancing at me as he spoke to Gaius in a monotone.

"The king would like to send his worries, and ask how the servant, Merlin, is doing." He said simply. Yup, this was great. George was pretending I wasn't here, but I supposed that's what some people did.

"Why don't you ask him yourself?" Gaius asked, causing me to smile. I loved Gaius. He knew me so well, and could cheer me up in even the worst of situations.

"The King has commanded me to ask Gaius." George nodded curtly, and Gaius sighed along with me. I guess I was going to spoken about as if I wasn't here after all.

"Very well, then." Gaius glanced at me and shrugged apologetically. I smiled and nodded. I understood. "Thank Arthur for his worries, and tell him that Merlin is just fine." I noticed George's eyes slide to me, and grinned widely to support Gaius's statement.

"Yeah, here I am, breathing and everything." I muttered, then dug back into my stew. George was ignoring me, I might as well ignore him. Or, at least, pretend to ignore him. I still listened to his words, as I crammed heaping spoonfulls of stew into my mouth.