Bad Dreams

After leaving the town gates, we rode into the forest on a trail that we had chosen earlier. At first, there was nothing but trees. They were thick, orange, red, brown and sometimes, green. All of the colors from the overhanging trees made things beautiful, but after about five hours, the ride began to get boring.

By that time, it was around noon, and the group riding with me was ready for the mid-day meal.

"This seems like a nice place to break," Arthur said, stopping his horse and then hopping off, into a small clearing.

"Don't make the meal big Merlin, we have a whiles yet to ride, and we don't want make ourselves sick," Gaius spoke. I hadn't missed the glances he threw at Arthur and I, as Gaius wondered what had gone on last night. I think he knew that I wasn't able to say it.

I began to build a small fire in the middle of the clearing, while Arthur went off with Eric to find some game, and Gaius tended to the horses. The game wasn't for right now, it would be for tonight's dinner. Right now, we were going to have some roasted vegetables, just to fill our stomachs.

After I built the fire, I cheated a little, by lighting it with magic, after insuring that nobody watched, of course. I already had the vegetables laying over the rocks and heating up quickly. I would have to watched closely to make sure that the vegetables wouldn't burn.

By the time that the vegetables were split onto four wooden plates, and I was already munching on mine, Gaius besides me. Arthur dropped a string of rodents, birds, and small mammals in front of me. I think that Arthur intended to make me jump. He seemed slightly disappointed when I just looked at him expectantly.

"I need you to tie it to the back of my saddle. We can't have it falling during the ride," I nodded and went to fasten the meat to the horse's saddle. I would have to salt it tonight if we wanted to keep it for more that a night. Luckily, we had the salt. Arthur, being the king and all, could get whatever he wanted.

 I returned to my half eaten plate to find Gaius had already finished his, and Arthur and Eric's were basically inhaling theirs. By the time I sat down again the three of them were standing up. I quickly scooped vegetables onto my mouth as the fire was put out, and within five minutes it looked as if we had never been here. Then we all got back to our horses and started to ride again.

The forest seemed to stretch on forever. It never ended. Sure, I love being here but seeing more or less the same tree with every second began to get boring. After a little while my mind drifted. I thought back to the beginning of the journey, and went over exactly what happened.

Arthur had begun to gallop, so we all followed likewise. Everybody besides Eric and Arthur himself seemed surprised he suddenly stopped outside of the gates.

"We're going to split up here," Arthur announced, receiving a number of confused looks.

"This group is too large to make it to Morgana's Castle unnoticed. If we go in our groups it will be difficult for people see us as anything besides a couple of men traveling. It's most important in this mission that Morgana doesn't hear about what we are trying to do, understood?" All the knights nodded and Arthur listed off the roads that each group would be using.

"Elliot, your group takes the regular North Road. Many, many people are going to pass you by. It is crucial that you look completely inauspicious," A knight called Elliott nodded then turned to discuss with his group.

"William, your group will go on the first side road from the North Road. You will go through a couple villages, and busier roads. You will see many people, but you will know how to respond if you come across one of Morgana's men," The group that had been talking to Arthur about being caught earlier now turn to talk with each other.