chapter two

Clark Kent was always at his own area. He never talked to many of his coworkers, and you related to him in some way because of that. You knew Clark, sure, but you weren't friends with him. He mostly kept to himself, and you kept to yourself. There were a few times that he would politely say hello as you both when to the copier or walked out of the building together, but it was never an actual friendship.

You approached his desk, where he sat at his chair, quietly observing a newspaper. His back was still to you, his eyes still on the paper. You cleared your throat and said, "Clark?"

He turned his head at the sound of your voice and smiled kindly. "Hey. ___, right?"

You smiled and nodded. "Right. Um, did White talk to you already-?"

"Yeah, yeah," he answered. He glanced around the office and said with a smirk, "Got an earful from him. You, too?"

You laughed and pressed your fingers against your temple. "Yeah, I did. So... Lex Luthor's party." You crossed your arms against your chest.

He sighed and nodded as he pushed his glasses up his nose. "It's tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah," you replied.

"It's kind of ridiculous that we're being sent there, don't you think?"

"Sort of, but maybe it'll be nice. I mean, there's going to be drinks."

He grinned. "Well, there's that."

You laughed lightly. "You don't happen to have any idea on what to write about there? Like, is anything there at all?" You pressed your fingers against your temple again. There was a light ache that had started to make you cringe. All of the stress from the morning was going to leave you with a migraine.

"Hey, you'll find something. Don't sweat it - you're a great journalist."

You squinted your eyes. "You're not worried about this at all, are you?"

He chuckled and looked down. "Not really, no. Trust me, I've got bigger problems than whether Perry White likes my article or not." He shoved his hands in his pockets. "And trust me, ___, you shouldn't be worried. You're keeping your job. I can't see you ever getting fired from here because of what you wrote on Gotham."

"You've read my article," you realized.

He nodded. "You could say that I'm a bit interested in the Batman of Gotham as well."

"That must be why we're in the same boat, then." You sighed and laughed.

"Trust me, you've got a much higher chance at keeping your job than I do." He shrugged.

You smiled bashfully. "Well thank you, Clark."

"Hey, if you want, I'll even take you to the party myself."

"You would?" You smiled at the idea. You always had to get around by taxi, and you had always hated it. "That'd be great. Thanks, Clark. You're a lifesaver."

"It's no problem, really." He flashed a grin and looked over your shoulder. You turned and saw Lois, who smiled and waved at you. Clark looked back into your eyes and said, "If you'll excuse me..."

"Oh, sure, sure," you mumbled. You moved out of the way. His hand brushed against your arm as he walked around you. You tucked a piece of hair behind your ear and left to your desk.

'Well, Clark doesn't seem worried about it at all... maybe I'm just overreacting. Perry is right; it's a party that everyone who is anyone is going to. Something exciting is bound to happen.'

You spent the rest of your time at work brainstorming what to write about. You wanted to find a guest list. There's gotta be some sort of drama that'll go down.

'Guess I won't know until tomorrow.'

Tomorrow. Panic began to set in as you realized that you would have to find a dress, shoes, and manage to look presentable at the party. You groaned at the thought of talking to people. You became a writer for a reason. It's much easier to type your thoughts in a sheet of paper than it is to speak to another person.

When your lunch came around, you ate at the counter by yourself, as always. You knew that you were probably overreacting about losing your job, but the thought always sat at the back of your head. You were always quick to panic, anyways.

You pushed the worry down. To be honest, you weren't that bad of a journalist, all in all. And parties were always great. Besides, the chance of seeing Lex Luthor, who everyone knew and respected, was too great to pass up.