chapter eleven

After the date at the diner, Lex took you back to LexCorp. No one was working this late, so you got a tour of almost the entire building. It was a bright building, all colors being mostly white and blue and orange, which tons of ping pong tables and fancy chairs and basketball courts.

"Wow," you said as you looked around.

He looked back at you and smiled. His hand fell to the small of your back, where it stayed. "Come on, I'll show you my office."

"Does it look as nice as downstairs looks?" you asked as he entered the elevator.

He hit a switch and stepped back as the doors slid shut. "Not exactly as nice, I suppose."

"What, you didn't redecorate it or something?"

"Well, my father passed away six years ago, and I left everything the same as it was when he was alive."

"Oh." You bit on your lip and looked down. "I'm, uh, sorry about your dad, Lex. And I didn't mean to ask-"

"No, no, no, don't worry about it," he said. The elevator doors slid open and he gestured for you to follow him. He walked down a couple of halls and finally reached the end of the last one. He opened the doors and stepped inside. "This," he said, turning around and holding his arms out, "is my office."

"Wow, fancy," you said.

"Very." He grinned and pointed to the sofa. "Make yourself comfortable." You obeyed, taking a seat. After a few moments, he came back with two glasses of champagne. He sat down next to you and pulled his legs up until he was sitting cross legged.

"So..."

"So," he said. "Two days ago."

You looked down and shook you head. "That... was out of character for me. I was totally just... you know, shaken up and..." He nodded and you sighed. "Look-"

Suddenly, you felt his fingers underneath your chin. You turned your head and his lips landed on yours quickly. You squeezed your eyes shut, your fingers curled up in the orange waves of his hair. He tilted his head and moved his hands up to cup your face fully. You pulled your face back and took a deep breath. His eyes were scanning your face. "I wasn't exaggerating when I said that I liked you, ___."

"I-I didn't think that you were," you whispered. You dipped your head and crushed your lips against his once again. He slid his hands from your face, to your shoulders, and down to your waist. You sighed against his mouth as he moved forward. You wrapped your arms around his neck and let him pull you closer to him. Breathlessly, you broke away again.

Lex's hands continued to stroke your waist. His eyes moved over your face as you caught your breath. "Hm, so I assume that you trust that I won't murder you now?"

You laughed. "I kind of trusted you with that when I walked into this building with you."

He laughed loudly and pushed his head forward. His forehead touched yours and his eyes closed. You moved your hands to his face, your fingers touched his cheeks gently. He jerked back slightly, his breath stuck in his throat.

You pulled back and he turned his head. "Lex? Are you okay?"

"I'm..." He cleared his throat and pulled back from you, his eyes on the floor as he spoke. "O-Okay, when I was a kid, my father never... he wasn't one for the normal father-son bonding, let me just say that."

It took a minute to dawn on you. "Oh gosh, Lex."

"And I never had my mom," he continued. "She left. And after she left, my father became angry. He turned to whiskey and took all of his anger out on me. He mostly used his fists instead of his words-"

"Lex," you whispered. Your eyes were swimming in tears. "You don't have to tell me this."

"Ah, well, there's nothing more to tell," he replied with a smile. He looked up at you. "So everytime you reach out to touch me, I can't help but tense. But you're so gentle and slow and I just..." He let out a huge breath of air, like a sigh of relief.

You smiled and looked down. "How... how did your father die? It was so unexpected, and there was never a statement that said what had happened."

His face hardened and he stood up. "He..." He looked at the clock and sighed. "It's nearly three in the morning. I should get you home."

"No, it's okay."

"No, I should get you home." He stood up and clapped his hands together. "I shouldn't be up this late anyways. I have a trial to attend tomorrow."

"A trial?" you asked. "Superman's trial?"

"Yes, that is the one." He grinned and walked around the sofa.

"Oh. I'm gonna be there tomorrow. I wanted to hang around and see if I could get any-"

"No," he said quickly. "No, no, no. Every journalist in Metropolis is going to be there. Every single newspaper and magazine and news channel is going to be covering the exact same thing. We all know how this trial is going to go."

You turned to look at him. "So what, you don't think that I should do my job?"

"Ah, but I am thinking the exact opposite," he replied, bending down and poking the tip of your nose. "I'll simply tell you everything that happened. That way, when everyone is writing about whether he is guilty or not, you could be writing in detail, every part of it."

"Okay. Okay, yeah. That's a good idea."

"Great!"

"So you want me to stay home?" you continued.

"Exactly, yes, yes. And I'll... I'll pick you up directly after and take you for coffee! I'll tell you everything that happened while it's fresh in my mind."

"I'm gonna trust you on this, Lex. Don't let me down."

He put his hands on his hips and pursed his lips together. "Trust me, this trial is going to be talked about for a long, long time."