chapter nine

| Lex's POV |

He had been up all night. Lex sat back in the leather chair in his father's office. His fingers traced over the outline of his lips as he was left deep in thought. Over and over again, waves of memories washed over his head.

The flashing lights on top of the police cars. How he ran frantically for you, through the crowds of nosy neighbors and the swarm of officers. Why did he run for you? Why was it so important that you were okay? He continued to run, ignoring the cops that tried to stop him. They would see who he was, and they would let him through. He kept moving, kept pushing, and then he saw you.

You were standing at the back of an ambulance, your eyes glued on somewhere far away. He forced himself to move forward until knelt down by your side. You didn't even look at him or take notice of his presence.

"___!" he said. He looked at the gauze bandage that was taped to your neck. "___, what happened?" You didn't even move. He grabbed your chin roughly, not really meaning to, but needing to get your attention. "Hey! Talk to me, ___. What happened?"

"He didn't save us," you whispered. You were looking at something beyond his shoulder. He looked over and saw the body bag on the ground. The EMTs were lifting him onto the gurney. Lex realized that the thief over the phone had killed this person on his run. But who didn't save you? You were safe.

"Who didn't?" he asked. "The man-?"

"No," you breathed. You shook your head slightly.

"Then who?"

"Superman."

The name cut through Lex. He blinked and bit down on his lips as his eyes swept over the skyline. No, he didn't come. The great god of Metropolis remained far away while you were in danger. Anger fueled him.

Lex pressed his fingers against his lips. 'What exactly is it that makes Superman help? Does he just... decide who is worthy and who isn't? Was he simply not around?' he thought to himself.

If there was one thing Lex knew, it was that you were all good. You were sweet, and quiet, and so kind. You deserved a long and happy life, and that was almost torn from you, all because that hero didn't come and save your life. You were saved by a common guy, a man with a family and a job and a life... and he paid for it.

There was no doubt about it now; Lex would stop at nothing to put an end to Superman. He had ruled the world for too long. The amount of power in that alien's hands was wrong, so wrong. Superman held all of the power in the entire world, and the fact that he didn't use it to save you... you, who knew his alternate ego, Clark Kent. You, who agreed that all power cannot be all good, but appreciated Superman's efforts at saving the world, but didn't receive any help from him when you needed it most.

Lex clenched his jaw and swiped at the newspaper on his father's desk.

Our Superman Saves Local Journalist Lois Lane

It was clear that Superman cared about her. Is that why he didn't even show up at your call? Was this it? Was Lois Lane the only thing that mattered to him?

'No, no....' Lex thought, 'There's always another woman in a man's life.' He smiled smugly and stood up. He ripped the newspaper page off and crumbled it. Underneath each page was another picture of him. He continued to rip each page, each picture, each article, each thank you.

You needed him, and he wasn't there. You, who didn't deserve anything like that, would be forever different because of what you saw.

It reminded him of his past. Maybe he deserved what his father did to him, maybe he didn't. It wasn't for him to decide. You... you had somehow decided that he was worthy of something. That he was more than a billionaire that tried so hard to live up to his father's name, that he mattered.

Lex shook his head and shoved his hands in his pockets. He wandered to the window and gazed out at the rainy morning. If he wanted to destroy Superman, there was only one way to do so. He needed that kryptonite.

There was a knock on the door. "Come in," he said loudly, his eyes glued on the window.

"Lex," Mercy said, "you've been asked to attend Superman's trial. I can cancel all appointments so that you can attend-"

He smirked. "Yes, please do that. I'll be there," he answered. Mercy left the room swiftly. Lex turned around and gazed at the ripped picture of Superman in the trash can. He smirked as he grabbed the bottle of liquor off of the desk and poured some in a glass. "I'll be there." The smirk was still on his lips as he took a long drink and turned back to the window.