chapter sixteen

Even the doors of LexCorp looked intimidating. You hadn't heard from Lex in days - not through text, call, or email. It made you a little nervous. Was that it then? Did he decide that you weren't enough for him? Was he lying when he said that he loved you? Was he tired of you?

You wanted to confront him. You sucked in a brave breath and stepped inside of LexCorp with two paper cups in your hands. One was filled with your usual coffee, the other hot tea for Lex. A serious lady with long, brown hair that was so straight that not a hair was out of place and eyes so green they looked like the forest stood at the front desk. She looked up from her laptop and took in your appearance. As if your outfit; a sweater and dark jeans wasn't enough for you to wear in her presence, she sneered. "Hello, may I help you?"

"Yeah," you said, more than a little afraid of her. "I'm here to see Lex. Can you tell me where he is?"

"Mr. Luthor," she said rudely, as if to correct you, "is busy. Do you have an appointment?"

"No," you answered slowly. "I need an appointment to visit him?"

"Sweetie, everyone needs an appointment to speak to him. We don't let just anyone in here. Not even journalists." She smiled.

You shook your head. "What-"

"Oh, ___, I thought I heard you!" you heard Lex exclaim. He was standing at the doors of the elevator, his hands on his hips. You turned your head and smiled as he walked up to you. "There you are, looking as beautiful as ever." He kissed you and wrapped his arm around your waist.

"I brought you hot tea," you said. You handed him the cup. "I thought you needed a quick pick-me-up, since you've been working so much."

Lex shook his head at you, as if he couldn't understand how you could do that. His smile was warm when he looked at you. "Wow, isn't she just spectacular?" he asked the lady at the desk quietly. As if that made him remember her presence, he turned his head. "I see you've met my wonderful receptionist! Ms. Monroe, I trust you were being kind to our guest, my girlfriend." His voice was kind, but his eyes were burning with anger.

"Yes, Mr. Luthor. I was just sending her to you." She smiled nervously and sat back.

"Excellent." Lex nodded and looked down at you. He grinned. "Come on, I'll take you to my office."

He led you down a couple of halls, and his arm was around you the entire time. He politely nodded to each of his employees that walked by. While he walked, he slumped forward and murmured things to you. "___, I cannot begin to explain how great it is to see you here! My receptionist brought me a cup of coffee, and even that made me think of you."

You smiled nervously. "Really? That's so sweet."

"Hm, well. Are you all right, dear? You seem off."

"I just wanted to talk to you," you said. "I thought we could sit around in your office and just... talk."

He nodded and pulled you by the arm to the side of the long hall. He opened one glass door and gestured for you to sit down. There was a sofa at the far end of the room, a flat screen on the television, and a long, orange rug across the fluffy white carpet. "This is one of my many offices," he said with a chuckle. You smiled as you sat down on the leather sofa. He took a seat with you; he snatched a glass bowl from the coffee table. "Jolly Rancher?" he asked, handing you the bowl. You shook your head and he shrugged, plucked a cherry from the bowl, and quickly unwrapped it. "You wanted to talk?" You nodded. He popped the cherry Jolly Rancher into his mouth and sat back. His arm snaked around your shoulder. "Then talk to me."

You grimaced and looked down as you thought about what you wanted to say. How cold you say this? "I don't know how," you admitted.

Lex reached out and placed his finger underneath your chin. He tilted your head up and scanned your face. "Talk. It's okay. No matter what you have to say, I want to hear it." There was a beeping from the pocket of his suit jacket. He held up one finger and pulled out his cellphone. "Ah, emergency meeting! Sorry, dear, hold that thought. I have an important call to take in my main office, and then I have an important meeting with an important person." He leaned over and swiftly kissed your cheek. Your eyes followed him as he stood up and marched out of the room, his eyes on his cellphone screen.

"What about me?" you asked as he pushed on the glass door and opened it.

He turned around and started to walk backwards. "I'd love to talk, babe, really, but I have got a lot of work to do."

"That's what this is about," you called back. You stood up and followed him out. "Are you avoiding me because you want to get rid of me, or are you really busy?"

He stopped and dropped his arms. "Well, I'm busy, of course. ___, dear, you really don't think that I would ignore you, do you?"

You shrugged and he shook his head. You quickly explained. "I don't know, I'm just afraid-"

He held his hands up as a way to say, 'Stop right there', and he smirked. "Don't be," he assured you. "I'm currently in the middle of doing something great for both of us. I promise, once you see it, you'll understand." He waited until you smiled again to start down the hallway.

You watched him disappear, and then you were left in the middle of LexCorp, feeling a little better. You were still worried. Something was going on, and you intended to find out what it was.