chapter eight

Lex drove you home after the police finally got some answers out of you. You were silent, even as he walked you up the steps of the apartment and to your door. You grabbed for your purse, only to realize that it was gone and was claimed as evidence.

"I can't get in," you informed Lex. "My key was in my bag." 

"No big deal," he said calmly. "Most people keep a spare in their mailbox, yeah? Do you happen to have an extra key in your mailbox?"

You nodded. 'Of course you do.' "Right... duh. Yeah."

"Mercy," Lex said, jerking his head towards the steps. Mercy nodded and walked off. You leaned against the wood of your door and crossed your arms. Lex leaned back with you, his hands stuffed in his pockets. You sniffled and wiped your nose. Lex's hand hesitantly reached out; the backs of his fingers skimmed the skin of your arm, almost as if he didn't want to touch you. "You good?"

"I just watched an innocent man get murdered," you said. "I'm not too great, no."

He nodded and swallowed. "Sorry, I just... I'm not good at these things."

You looked up at him and shook your head. "I don't get it, Lex. You were there. You saw his body, but it didn't phase you. Why?"

He shrugged and looked away. "Guess because I didn't see it all happen." He glanced back at you and sighed.

"Right," you muttered. "Sorry."

"Don't be."

You bit down on your lip and looked at the floor. "What are you thinking about?"

"Him," you muttered. "Superman."

He nodded once and his eyebrows furrowed together. "What about him?"

"He didn't come," you whispered. "I was screaming, that man was screaming, the thief was hurting me... and he didn't come. He always comes when he hears someone is in trouble. He didn't leave Metropolis, he's still here. He just didn't come. And now an innocent man is dead and a murdering thief is out there." Your eyes darted around, as if you would see him. You swallowed thickly and rubbed your sore eyes. "I just don't understand why."

He looked down as he spoke. "___, do you remember what I told you the first time I met you?"

Of course you did. You remembered everything he ever said, because you would cling to his voice that you loved so much. "All power cannot be all innocent," you answered.

"Correct," he said. "And do you believe that now?"

"I believed you before," you said. "But now..." You blinked away a couple of tears. "I just wish I could forget tonight. I keep seeing it over and over again."

"Relax," Lex whispered, his lips close to your ear. "He can't hurt you anymore."

"He's still out there," you whispered. "And I don't want to blame him, but I can't blame anyone else. He has all of the power in the world, and he chose to not save us." You looked up at Lex and shook your head. Through clenched teeth, you whispered, "I hate him."

He slowly smiled and leaned over you, his arm braced on the door above your head. "I know you do. It's okay." You shook your head and tried to move away. Lex's hand grabbed gently onto your waist and held you there. "Hey, ___, look at me." You do. "It's okay." His eyes scanned your face, taking in every detail. "Would it be insane if I kissed you right now?"

You gulped at the change in his behavior. "Yes."

He nodded and started to pull away, the pink tinged in his cheeks. You reached up and grabbed the front of his shirt to keep him in front of you. "Just because it's insane, doesn't mean that I don't want you to." You stared into his blue eyes and said, "So kiss me."

His free hand grabbed your chin as his lips slammed against yours. He kissed you feverishly and passionately, his lips taking no mercy on yours. The pressed hard against yours, creating an ache. His forehead hit against yours, his nose bumped into yours. The grip his fingers had on your chin throbbed as his fingers curled over your jaw. You didn't care. You needed this. This was a distraction from your mind.

There was no love or kindness in the kiss. It was raw, heated passion that was all from him, and a bit from you. His lips continued to mash against yours until there was a new voice in the room.

"Lex, sir," Mercy said.

Lex pulled away from you and dropped his hand. Your cheeks burned red as he looked up and smiled at his assistant. He licked at his lips and held out his hand. She dropped the key onto his palm. "Thank you, Mercy."

She nodded and stepped back. Lex shoved the key into the lock and turned the knob. You stepped inside of your apartment and turned. As soon as you did, Lex grabbed your shoulders and kissed you roughly. Your eyes popped open in surprise and you quickly kissed back in response.

He broke away suddenly, his eyes staring at your lips. "I'll call you."

"Okay."

"Goodnight." He nodded and shut your door. You were left alone in your dark apartment. You crossed your arms and swallowed thickly as you stepped up to the window. You could see where you were attacked from here.

Before you went to bed, you grabbed the can of pepper spray that your father had given you months before you made the move to Metropolis. It was painfully ironic that you hadn't decided to carry it with you. It stayed on your nightstand as you slept.