chapter six

Author's Note:

JUST added a playlist on 8tracks for this story!

title: PSYCHOTIC // lex luthor x reader

link: http://8tracks.com/riofthesouthernisles/psychotic-lex-luthor-x-reader-2

-

A week after that date, your relationship with Lex was mostly over text and calling. He called you every morning and every night, as well as periodically throughout the day. He hadn't called you yet that morning, and you didn't even think about it. Your day was hectic from the start.

You walked into work the next day and you were more than a little late. You still had half of your breakfast - an apple - in your hand, and your hair was just lazily put up in a loose bun. Your bag was open, papers falling out of it as you tried to push them back down. You were an absolute mess. Little sleep, no coffee, lots of anger.

You rushed to your desk, face red at the glaring eyes of Perry. Once you sat down, you realized something was on your desk.

A paper cup, one from a cafe downtown. You looked around. Did someone set this on your desk accidentally? You pop open the lid and look down. It's a black coffee. Beside the cup sat three sugars, two small cups of creamer, and a folded piece of thick paper. You picked it up and unfolded it. It read:

I stopped by this morning and you weren't here. I'm sorry about the date yesterday. I brought you coffee, but I forgot to ask you what you liked.

- Lex

You smiled and looked down at the coffee. You dug around in your purse and pulled out your phone. You clicked on his name in your contacts list and held the phone up to your ear.

He picked up on the third ring. "___, hey."

"Hey," you greeted. "Um, thanks for the coffee."

"You're welcome," he said. "I was completely lost when I ordered it, honestly."

You laughed. "You did great. I'm sorry that I wasn't here. My taxi driver was the slowest driver in Metropolis."

"It's not a problem," he said with a laugh. "Not everyone can have their own private airline to travel."

"Private airline?" you asked with a gasp. "What-"

"___," an angry voice boomed. "You know that workers aren't allowed to take personal calls unless it's your break. You're already on my list for walking in here thirty-three minutes late, so if that isn't a work call, you-"

"It is a work call," you lied quickly. Perry crossed his arms, obviously not convinced. You gestured to your phone. "I'm writing about the newest line of private airline for Metropolis. Do you want an article or not? Because if you're just going to stand here and yell at me, you're not going to get anything."

"Look, you're lucky your writing is good, lady," he said before he stomped off.

You sank down into your seat. "Sorry about that," you said quietly. The line was quiet. "Hello? Are you there?"

"Yeah, I'm here," he said. "Just... wow."

"What?"

"Just surprised. Was that your boss?"

"Yeah. He's... ugh, he's impossible. He's just so rude."

"Sorry to hear that," he replied.

"That's work, I guess." You looked up as Perry walked by your desk again. You started to ramble on about the airline until he left. Once he walked off, you rolled your eyes. "He's just going to keep walking by until I'm off of here. I should go." Perry walked by again. "Jeez, he's crazy."

Lex laughed and said, "It's fine. I don't want you to be fired just because you're talking to me."

"Yeah, it'd really stink if I got fired and had to live in the streets." You smiled and grabbed your ink pen. "I'll see you Saturday?"

"Wouldn't miss it," he said. "I'll talk to you later." The line went dead. You put your phone up and grabbed the coffee cup.

Although Lex was easily one of the most high class and most liked people in Metropolis, he was still extremely awkward. It didn't bother you. It was pretty cute, the way his voice would get all shaky and high-pitched. It reminded you that no one was perfect; not even him.