chapter four

You were still dazed as you left the party. Did a guy really just ask you out on a date? And was that guy really Lex Luthor? It was too much for you to comprehend. Your head was spinning around in circles, so when you finally came to your senses and remembered why you had gone to the party in the first place, you nearly gasped aloud.

"Clark," you said. "Did you, um, get anything to write about?"

He kept his eyes on the road ahead. "Nope."

Your jaw dropped a bit. After all he talked about to Bruce, he had nothing? "Then why did we leave if you-?"

"You'll figure something out," he said. His jaw was clenched, as if he was holding back anger.

"But what about you?" you gasped. "We were put on this mission together, Clark. I'm not sticking up for you when Perry loses his head tomorrow."

"And I do not expect you to." He shrugged. "It wasn't much of a mission, anyways, ___. I know that you can think of something to write about."

You clamped your lips shut and threw your head back against the seat. If he wasn't willing to cooperate or help, you would have to do it on your own. You didn't care about him. So what if Clark gets himself fired? It's not you.

Clark pulled up to your apartment without a word. You mumbled a thank you for him taking you home and climbed out of the car. You slammed the door shut and stormed off, not wanting to wave goodbye. It felt ridiculous, this fit you were practically throwing, but you valued your job, and you didn't want anyone to jeopardize it.

Your apartment was at the top of the building. As you took the elevator up, your thoughts wandered back to Lex. Was he serious when he said that he wanted to see you again, or was he just one of those men that took advantage of their fame and money and used it to get girls to do what they wanted? You didn't think so. Lex was respectful when he spoke to you.

You walked off the elevator and pulled the keys out of your small purse. Once you stepped inside of your home, you kicked off your heels and gratefully ran to the shower. As soon you felt clean and comfy in your pajamas, a white towel holding all of your wet hair on top of your head, you pulled out your laptop.

If Clark didn't want to help you, you could do it yourself.

Certainly, there wasn't any secret plan going around Lex Corp. You didn't want to come up with a false story, so you chose to write an overall view of the party. After all, half of Metropolis was there. Perry would be able to deal with the boring, straightforward truth.

'Mr. Alexander Luthor, Jr.'s party was a complete success. Not only was he kind to his guests, but he provided a warm and colorful aura composed of bubbly champagne and rich laughter...'

You went on and on about the party. In a way, it was like your own ball in a Cinderella story. Lex Luthor certainly wouldn't be your Prince Charming, but it was a wonderful break. It gave you a taste of excitement, of a life that you would never have a chance to live. It was a brand new outlook, a window out of your boring life. Even if Lex found another woman to flatter after you had left, even if you were never to hear from him again, the time you had was enough.

You close your laptop and crawl into bed. As you lay back against your pillow and shut your eyes, you can see his icy blue ones staring back at you, his huge grin, his orange waves that framed his face...

You laughed at yourself. 'You're gonna let yourself go crazy over some rich guy at a party, ___. You don't have time to do that.' Of course, you were lying to yourself. You had more than enough time for anything. If you weren't at work, you were here, pretending to be someone that mattered.

That's all you could ever do; pretend.