chapter seventeen

Author's note: this isn't going to be perfect because I haven't seen bvs since March and cannot find the last few scenes anywhere.

The next night, you walked out of your little office area in the Daily Planet. You had a stack of printed papers in your hand that wouldn't fit into your bag. Perry White wanted a killer article before midnight, or you were going to lose your job. It was understandable; the articles you had been turning in lately weren't your best work.

You pushed the glass door open without even taking a glance outside. Once the door was opened, you heard a loud flapping sound that hurt your ears. Wind was blowing crazily around you; your hair blew all over your face. You dropped your papers and gasped in shock. Parked in the middle of the empty road was a small helicopter with the words LexCorp written on the side.

"Ms. ___ ____," someone said loudly. They stepped off of the helicopter and held their hand out to you. "Mr. Lex Luthor has requested your pickup at this location."

You looked up and down the street. "Is he aware of how illegal it is to land a helicopter in the middle of the road?" is all you could think to ask.

"Your presence is needed immediately," he said.

You let out a huff of air. "Um... okay." You allowed the man to take your hand and pull you inside. Once you were securely fastened to your seat with a pair of headphones on your head, the helicopter lifted. You were so shocked, so dazed. What was happening? The helicopter landed on the top of LexCorp. As it neared the landing strip, you saw Lex standing there with one hand on his lips and the other around a woman's shoulders.

The door opened for you and you got out. Lex stepped up to you and held out his hands. "There she is," he said, "just who we needed before we got this thing started!"

You looked at the woman and furrowed your eyebrows together. "Lois?" She glared at you. "Lex, what's going on?"

"Ah, you haven't figured it out yet. This is the job I've been meaning to explain to you, dear!" He waved you forward. You slowly obeyed and he grabbed your hand.

"Lex," you asked quietly, "what are you doing?"

"My dear, I'm fixing the world for us," he answered simply. He grinned hugely and leaned over to plant a quick kiss on your lips. He looked back at Lois. "Isn't she wonderful? This girl right here is the reason I work so hard each and every day. Hm!"

"Please explain to me what you're doing!" you whispered.

"We," he corrected, "are waiting for a guest."

"A guest?" you mumbled.

"Mhm." He stopped and turned away from you both. He rested his hands on his hips and sighed, a smile spreading across his face once again. "Oh, I just can't get over it! Lois Lane and ___ ____ on top of LexCorp together." He acted like it was the most exciting thing in the world. "My plan is finally coming together and it is quite satisfying. Now! Lois, I brought you here because you know Clark Kent quite well, and ___ knows him, too."

"You kidnapped her?" you asked.

"For a good reason!" Lex announced. "Lois Lane, Superman has always been there to save you, correct?" She didn't answer. "Correct, yes. But let me tell you an interesting story. A few nights ago, ___ here was walking home from work. And suddenly, she was attacked! Trust me, she screamed for help, but guess who didn't come to save her?" His head tilted. "Superman didn't. Clark Kent remained far, far away from here all while ___ had a knife pressed up against her throat!" Lex was shaking as he spoke.

You were dumbfounded. Clark Kent? Superman? Of course. Lex circled around both of you. He settled behind Lois, who remained perfectly still. "He didn't save her," Lex said. "He didn't even try."

Lois glanced over at you. "That's not my fault. I'm sorry, ___, but nothing Clark does is my fault."

"I know that," you said. "Lex knows that, too." He shot a look at you and you shook your head. "I never meant for you to go to this extreme. Lex, I don't want you to fix this. I'm alive and that's enough for me! That needs to be enough for you, too!"

He laughed. "No. No, no, no. No! He is a false god, don't you see?" he hissed.

"It was you," Lois said softly. "All of it. The bombings, the explosion in city hall..."

Everything inside of you froze. You looked at Lex, who seemed almost embarrassed to look at you. Your stomach flipped and you felt the sudden urge to throw up. He was a murderer. The man who claimed to love and care about you had the ability to kill innocent people. He had the ability to kill his assistant.

"Oh my gosh," you breathed. "I didn't... I didn't know! I didn't... you... you're..." You couldn't manage a coherent sentence.

"You're psychotic," Lois said.

"That is a three syllable word for any thought too big for little minds," Lex said happily. "Back to my story! Because Superman would not come save ___, I figured that I should make everyone see just how he really is. Of course, he wouldn't follow any other road to find me... so I figured that the quickest road to Superman was Lois Lane!" With that, he grabbed Lois's shoulders and shoved her off of the building.

You screamed. Lex wrapped his arms around your waist and held you in place. You thrashed around and continued to scream.

"Stop," he said in your ear. "Stop, stop, stop! I wouldn't dare hurt you, dear. You have to trust me!"

You stopped squirming and fell limp. Lex held you up by your underarms. "You're sick, Lex," you cried out.

"She isn't dead," Lex told you. "We all know that Superman would not dare let that happen." He turned you around and touched your cheek. You flinched and tried to move away. There was hurt on his face as you cowered from his touch. You wanted to glare at him, but you felt so betrayed.

All this time he was pretending. All this time he was just formulating how to kill Superman. All this time he murdered countless people just to make Superman look bad. Did Lex use you because of your connection to Clark? Your attack? Your job? Was it all just a lie? Did he love you, really?

"You're sick."