chapter eighteen

Lex's sad blue eyes stared down at you as the tears stopped flooding out of yours. You clenched your jaw tightly and glared at him. Your cheeks wet and sticky with tears, your lips trembling, you said, "Lex, let me go."

"I cannot," he replied. "You need to see this. This is what you've been waiting for, ___!"

"You murdered people!" you yelled. You struggled to get out of his hold once again. "You killed so many people-!"

"Lex Luthor!" Superman shouted as he flew up to the rooftop.

Lex grinned. "Oh look, my dear --- company!" He stood up and wrapped his arm around during your waist tightly. He pulled you with him to where he can face Superman. "Hi, hello! Boy, do we have problems up here!"

Your eyes fell to his hands, where he dug out a timer. He pulled it out and set it before continuing. His grip never loosened on you. It was like he was desperately trying to keep you here. Maybe he was going to kill you.

"The problem of evil in the world," he said. "The problem of absolute virtue."

Superman's eyes flickered from Lex's to yours. You wanted to shout at him to leave before Lex managed something else stupid, but you were silent. "I'll take you in without breaking you. Which is more than you deserve."

Lex continued speaking without even responding to Superman. "The problem of you on top of everything else. You above all. Ah, 'cause that's what god is. Horus. Apollo. Jehovah. Kal-El. Clark Joseph Kent. See. What we call god depends upon our tribe, Clark Jo. Because god is tribal. God take sides. No man in the sky intervened when I was a boy to deliver me from Daddy's fist and abominations." He paused for a moment before saying with more anger than you've ever heard, "No one was there for ___ when her life was nearly taken from her!" He shook you, as if to get Superman to look at you.

"Mm-mm! I've figured it out way back, if god is all powerful, he cannot be all good. And if he's all good then he cannot be all powerful. And neither can you be. They need to see the fraud you are. With their eyes. The blood on your hands."

"What have you done?" Superman questioned. He stood in front of you both, his hands clenched into fists.

"Lex," you pleaded softly.

"And tonight they will. Yes. Because you, my friend, have a date! Across the bay. Ripe fruit, his hate. Two years growing. But it did not take much to push him over actually. Little red notes, big bang. You let your family die! And now, you will fly to him, and you will battle him, to the death. Black and Blue. Fight night! The greatest gladiator match in the history of the the world. God vs Man. Day vs night. Son of Krypton vs Bat of Gotham!"

"Batman--- Lex, no!" you whispered.

He shook his head. "You think I'll fight him for you?"

Lex nodded and smiled. "Yes, I do. I think you'll fight, fight, fight for that special lady in your life."

"She's safe on the ground. How about you?"

A laugh escaped his lips. "Close, but I'm not talking about Lois. No. Every boy's special lady is his mother." Lex then pulled out a stack of photographs from his pocket. You glanced at them in horror as he tossed them around Superman. There were all pictures of Clark's mother, Martha, her face bruised and bloody.

You fell weak to your knees. Lex kept you up as you let out soft cries. Suddenly, Superman melted into Clark. He was vulnerable as he sank to his knees, his fingers shakily grabbing at the bent photographs.

"Clark," you cried. "Clark, I am so sorry. I didn't know-!"

Lex pressed his face into the side of your head. His lips brushed against your ear as he whispered, "Babe, this isn't your fault."

You jerked your head away from him and looked away, the tears streaming down your face. "You're sick..."

Lex ignored this. "Huh! Martha, Martha, Martha. The mother of a flying demon must be a witch. The punishment for witches, what is that? That's right. Death by fire."

Clark looked up and glared at Lex. His eyes glowed red. For a split second, you feared for your and Lex's lives. "Where is she?"

Lex held his hands up and grinned. "I don't know! I wouldn't let them tell me! If you kill me, Martha dies. If you kill ___, Martha dies! Haha! And if you fly away, Martha also dies. But if you kill the Bat, Martha lives."

Superman reluctantly calmed down. His eyes stayed fixated on Lex as he approached him. Lex carefully held out his hand.

"There we go. There we go. And now god bends to my will. Now the cameras are waiting at your ship. For the world to see the holes in the holy. Yes, the all mighty comes clean about how dirty he is when it counts. To save Martha, bring me the head of the Bat."

A sudden burst of wind made your hair fly across your face. A helicopter landed off to the side of the landing strip.

"Mother of god, would you look a the time! When you came here, you had an hour. Now it's less." He chuckled and squeezed you into a tight side hug. "Come, my dear, for we have places to be and much, much to discuss!"

"I'm not going anywhere with you," you cried out weakly.

Lex sighed. "___, ___, ___... you don't have much of a choice." A chuckle rose out of his throat as he kissed your temple. "I love you, babe."

You turned your head. Clark was already gone, and you were left with who used to be the love of your life, but was now a stranger. You were terrified. How would this night end?