chapter thirteen

"It doesn't feel real," you whispered. Your eyes were glued onto the fireplace in front of you. You held out your hands to feel the warmth. "All of those people... they meant something to someone. They were someone's Mom, someone's best friend..."

"Do not beat yourself up over this," Lex said calmly.

"It's hard not to," you replied. "It's just that things like this didn't happen until Superman started rescuing us from aliens, ya know?"

"True. Very, very true." He sighed and you glanced up. His hand met yours; he tugged it gently as his fingers slid in between the spaces of yours. "Come sit down."

You smiled as he pulled you to the sofa. He grabbed the bottle of liquor off of the coffee table and poured a bit in two glasses. He handed you one. "I'm not much for liquor."

He smiled. "Sorry, dear, but I'm all out of champagne." You took the glass and sat back. He draped his arm over your shoulders and pulled you close. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah," you answered. "Just glad you're okay, that's all. That, and my nerves have been completely shot." He chuckled and started to massage your left shoulder with his one free hand. You looked up at him and your eyes searched for anything in his icy blue orbs. There was nothing. Not a hint of remorse, of pain, of terror. "What am I doing? I should be the one making sure that you're all right. Are you okay, Lex?"

"I am perfect," he answered happily. There was something about the way he acted that made you feel like he was on the verge of a panic attack or something. He touched his glass to yours and raised it before taking a swig.

You slowly shifted on the couch, keeping your eyes carefully on him. "I'll be honest, I was kind of expecting some kind of emotion after what had happened."

He raised his eyebrows and took another drink of liquor. "Mm, but that is what alcohol is for, isn't it?" He finished the rest and painfully swallowed. "Alcohol was always there to numb it all for Daddy, to make him think with only his fists. Hm!" His voice quivered in anger. You looked at him nervously as he moved away from you to pour another drink.

"Lex..."

He sighed and took the cap off of the bottle. "I'm sorry," he mumbled.

You shook your head and took a drink. "Don't be. Just don't try to drown it all out in drinking. Look, I'm not a therapist and I'm not here to tell you what to do, but I care about you. I care about you a lot, Lex, and I don't want to see you hurting."

He looked over at you and scanned your face. He put his glass down and leaned forward. His hands grabbed your shoulders as his lips landed on yours. You hooked one arm around his neck while you blindly tried to set your glass on the table.

Lex pushed you against the arm of the sofa and his fingers were digging into your shoulder blades. You ended up knocking your drink over, which made you stop kissing him. You broke away and looked at the puddle of light brown liquid on the table that was quickly spilling into a pool on the fluffy white carpet. "I'm sorry, I think I just ruined your carpet-"

Lex's hand grabbed your chin and forced you to look back at him. "It doesn't matter," he mumbled, "it's just carpet." He chuckled and his lips landed on yours again. You closed your eyes and relaxed as you let your hands slide into his curly hair. His lips tasted of the strong alcohol, and although you weren't even close to being tipsy, it left your mind cloudy.

Your head spun as he deepened the kiss. You slid your hands to his chest and pushed him back. He kept his face against yours; his forehead pressed against your temple, the tip of his nose brushed against your cheek. "Lex," you breathed. He opened his eyes and looked into yours. You swallowed thickly and kept your gaze locked as the words bubbled up in your throat. "Lex, I... I love you."

He paused for a moment and let his eyes roam around your face. He pulled back a bit and cupped your cheek in his left hand. "I love you, too," he said softly. It was such a relief to hear it. You smiled as he dipped his head back down and his lips met yours once again.