Why...

Wendy and I headed back to the shack. We didn't talk much since Wendy was still in shock of what I told her. Once we arrived Wendy sat at the cashier and read a magazine.

I walked up stairs to see Mabel sitting on her bed.

"Mabel?" I ask. I sit next to her, she looks at me with tears in her eyes.

"I-I can't sleep..." She says. Her tone and look says it all.

"Nightmares.." I mumble. She looks at the floor and nods. We sat there in silence, I rubbed her back.

"Why?" She says breaking the silence. I looked at her confused to see her looking at me with tear filled eyes.

"Why what?" I ask. Her head leans on my shoulder.

"Just why..." She mumbles. After a while I heard her soft snoores. I laid her down and tucked her in, I lean down and kissed her forehead.

Growing up my mom always told me, kissing the forehead gave people sweet dreams. I used to believe that. I stopped when instead of kisses on the forehead, it was a slap.

See. When me and Mabel left to Gravity Falls, my parents went out. A lot. Eventually they met a younger couple. The couple took them clubbing and to casinos.

They went almost every night. It was a hobby at first, but then it became a habit.

They started drinking... A lot.

Going out every night.

They hung out with the wrong people.. Got into trouble with some..

It was a rough two years..

They turned bad really fast..

Its weird how quick people get mad when they've been drinking.

I walked back downstairs into the kitchen and started to make a sandwich. After awhile I sat on the floor. Knees to my chest and started to cry. Quietly. When you get yelled at for crying, you become very good at doing it quietly.

Apparently I wasn't quiet enough because I heard someone sit next to me. I looked, my vision blurry from the tears, but I could see her bright red hair.

"Hey. Dipper. What's wrong?" She asked. Her voice music to my ears. My lips form a small smile, but it soon fades.

"Everything." I said. She moves her head so she looks me in the eyes. The bright green, one of her features I can look at with out getting tired of it. The reason my favorite color is green.

"I know you had a rough two years. But its okay. You are away from them.  They can't hurt you. Plus.." She says. She hesitates. "I'm here."

I wrapped my arms around her. She tensed up but quickly relaxed and hugged me back. Her arms made me feel safe. Made me feel like nothing was wrong. Like the world couldn't hurt me.

Like all my problems blew away.

I didn't know, but I fell asleep in her arms.

----

I woke up on the chair by the TV. Wendy sitting on the arm of it and smiled as I looked at her.

"Hey sleepy head." She says.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to fall asleep on you." I said rubbing my eyes to rub away the sleep. She smiled and let out a small chuckle.

"Don't worry dude." She says. I sit up and she slids next to me. I tensed up when she put her head on my shoulder.

"Want to watch Ducktective?" I asked. She nodded and I turned it on. We watched and laugh. After a few episodes, I saw a bright light. I turned to it to see Mabel standing there with a camera.

"What the hell Mabel!?" I snapped. Wendy giggled and reached over me.

"Let me see!" She said with a smile. Mabel showed her and the picture was just Wendy and I sitting on the couch with a smile on both our faces. The thing was Wendy was staring at me. I didn't notice. She looked at me, like how I look at her.

I turned to see her checks red, her skin pale. I felt my face turn red to.

"Oh my god." Mabel whispered in my ear. It made me jump. "Just kiss her already."

"No." I growled. I liked Wendy. I loved her. But she told me I was to young for her. That it wouldn't work. So I stopped trying to win her over, but I never stopped loving her.

"She obviously likes you." Mabel whispered. I look at Wendy to see her looking at me, I smiled weakly. There was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it." I said as I got up. I walked to the door and opened it. I saw two people I thought I'd never see again.