Chapter 11: Memory is a Pretty Funny Thing

"I don't remember you. Why would I? I mean, you seem familiar but--"

"You've seen me at church, with Arizona, right?" Emmy asked.

"Well, I think so, but it's a deeper familiarity." Amelia replied, stumbling over her last word.

"Like, younger. Don't you remember when you were little?"

"Not really."

"What did you do when you went to church with Arizona when you girls were really young; until you were about five?"

"We went to the back room and played with the other kids."

"And what was your favorite thing to do?"

"This is getting weird. Can you just, tell me?"

"No. I want to see if you can figure it out." Emmy teased.

"Okay. We liked to draw and dance with this older girl--" Amelia stopped and she began to think deeper.

"And what was her name?" Emmy smiled.

"I-- I don't know." Amelia admitted softly.

"What did you call her?"

"I don't--" Amelia slowly began to realize who Emmy was and questioned, "Dancer?"

"The one and only." Emmy replied with a beaming smile.

"Wow. How did you remember me? You were like, 16."

"You painted me something and I just kind of knew."

"The sunflower?" Amelia laughed.

"Yep."

"That thing was horrible! Where did you keep it?" Amelia asked still laughing.

"It's currently hanging up above Ezra's crib. You didn't see it?"

"No, I was looking at the book case."

Emmy and Amelia stared at each other quietly before I erupting into a fit of laughter.

"Okay. Okay. So how did your date go?" Emmy asked.

"Oh no. You can't do that. I have so many questions!" Amelia laughingly pleaded.

"Okay. Okay. You can ask me two questions, every day."

"Only two?"

"Only two. So ask away."

"Okay, but you can ask me two."

"Works for me. Ask away." Emmy smiled as she started the car and drove off.

"Okay. Why did you come back?"

"Well, I met Michael after college and then we moved in together. Then he got a job here and well, we moved.  There actually wasn't much of a reason." Emmy answered, thankful for the easy question.

"Okay, question two; Why did I call you Dancer? I honestly can't remember."

"Now that is a pretty funny story. I told you my full name, Emerson Cadence Moss. And for some reason, you got stuck trying to say Cadence. I told you to just call me Emmy, but no, you wanted to call me Cadence. You tried so hard too! Can-dance. Ca-dans. Dan. And finally you can up to me one day and jumped up on my lap and yelled Dancer. I tried to correct you and say Emmy and even Cadence, but you wouldn't budge. I was Dancer and you were Mia." Emmy said happily.