Chapter 7

Chloe POV

All I could think was, Forget it Abby, I only just sprained my ankle!  I was just too tired to tell her that out loud.  I didn't care that I was missing the group dance, after all, I had pulled off my solo. 

"Chloe, sit down here and rest.  Everyone else, lets rehearse it and see if we can get by without Chloe."  Everyone clattered over to Abby and got into the starting position for the dance.  I watched them rehearse it and saw that they would be able to cope without me.  I was just glad that it wasn't Lucy that got hurt, after all, she was the lead.  The group was a really moving number.  Lucy wore a little floral print dress with her hair pulled back in a head band, while everyone else wore little black dresses with black ribbons in their hair.  I loved the group and was starting to be a little sad that I wouldn't get to perform it.

"Miss Abby," I asked. "Can I at least watch the group?"

She hesitated, then agreed.  "Oh, alright."  I smiled. 

When everyone was ready, the girls took off backstage.  When the moms were ready, I tried to stand up, but my mom ended up just scooping me up into her arms and carrying me to our seats.  We sat down two numbers before our group. 

"Now please welcome to the stage, number 43, Suicide."  I clapped as everyone but Lucy walked out onto the stage. 

When the music started, Lucy skipped out, a big smile on her face.  When she saw the "bullies" she broke down in fright and ran as they pretended to chase her.  Then they stopped and started the real dancing.  I could just hear Abby yelling, "Rock, rock, ball change, fan kick, up... into arabesque!"  I watched as Lucy was swarmed by the girls and she ran away and knee dropped.  She crawled painfully forward, and the other girls did a grangette into a forward leap, holding hands.  Then they ran to her as she tried to stand up and pushed her down again.  Then she rolled to the side and stood up, shanaying into a capezio.  The dance went on like this for a while, finally ending with Lucy "dying" and the other girls standing over her.  We all clapped madly and I saw a tear roll down Abby's cheek.  The dance was really moving. 

Finally, it was awards time, and I limped onto the stage with Lucy and the other girls.  We sat down and smiled for the cameras.  The announcer started with the solos, calling out names and giving out awards, Maddie received first in her division, so I clapped for her, but none of us really got too nervous until the top three of my division. 

"In third place, number 32, Kendall with Dangerous."  She smiled happily and took the award. 

"Yeah Kendall!"  I herd Jill yell from the audience.

"Our runner up is number 4, Anabelle with Sugar Cookie."  A red head stood up and took the second place award.  I clapped along with the others.  "And our winner today is.... number 33, Chloe, with The Falcon!" 

I heard the cheers erupt and I saw my mom jump to her feet and clap happily.  She was probably thrilled to see me win even with a hurt ankle.  I couldn't believe it, I was thrilled too.  I won with a hurt ankle.  I limped past Paige, who was the only one clapping halfheartedly.  Her eyes narrowed as I limped past her. 

"Congratulations, Chloe!"  The announcer said, as he handed me my trophy.  I limped back to my seat next to Lucy, and she gave me a double thumbs up.

"Great job, Chlo!"  She smiled widely.  We sat a little while longer waiting for group awards to start.  We clapped when Brooke won first in her division, and finally, it was group award time.

"In third place," began the announcer. "Is act number 28, Fly."  A group of girls stood and took the award.  "In second place, is number 56, Doodle-bop."  Another group of girls and one guy stood to accept the award.  "And finally, our first place junior small group is... number 43, Suicide!!!"

Lucy looked at me, relief flooding her eyes.  We all knew that if the group didn't place first, Lucy would have been kicked off the team.  I couldn't help but feel relief as well, I thought that Lucy was a good addition to the team.  Lucy took the award and shouted "Abby Lee Dance Company" into the announcer's microphone.  Then we all bowed and Lucy helped me walk off the stage. 

Another clean sweep for the ALDC.  I thought. And Lucy is staying for another week.  But what about next week?  Will she still be here?