Chapter 9

Lucy POV

I was called in for my solo rehearsals on Wednesday, not really knowing whether I should be nervous or not. 

"Hello kid," Abby greeted me when I walked through the doors of studio A.  "So your number is a lyrical contemporary number.  I hope you have already figured out how important this solo is to your future as an ALDC dancer; meaning, if you screw it up, you're pretty much done for."  I wasn't quite sure what to say to this, so I just smiled and nodded.  "Okay let's start.  You're going to start in the left wing, so get over there."  She said, pointing.  "From there, you will jazz walk slowly to center stage, and roll into a sitting position."

"This position?"  I asked, sitting on the floor, with one leg bent and the other leg tucked under me with my head resting on my bent leg.  I had seen Maddie do this many times in her solos.

"Sure, that'll work."  Abby nodded.  I stood and followed her directions.

Fifteen minutes later I was running my solo for the second time. 

"Plié cabriole, run, run, switch leap!  Yes!  Roll, toe rise, and hold, then layout, prep and turn.  A la seconde, a la seconde, pirouette--1, 2, 3, plié extend!  Roll, and 5, 6, 7, 8, finish!"  Abby was yelling out the dance moves while I did them to keep me on track.  I didn't need it though, I knew the dance well enough already.  It felt amazing to be dancing all alone.  I still missed Chloe though.  I wanted her back on the team badly. 

I knew that this week Abby would be depending on Maddie and I to pull the group through with a win, and if we didn't, then I was a goner.  I still wanted Chloe though, and to me, Chloe was important to have in a group dance.  Even though she didn't dance in the group last week, it still felt weird not to have her next to you on the stage, supporting you and dancing with you. 

"Lucy!"  Abby said, jolting me out of my thoughts.  "Your solo is amazing!  Almost as good as Maddie!  If you are to go to Nationals with us, you would definatly be performing this solo!" 

"Thanks Miss Abby!"  I said, and meant it.  She was way more supportive of me than I thought she would be. 

"Alright, send in Mackenzie!"  I nodded and left the studio to find Mackenzie.

"Kenz," I said, spotting her talking with Brooke in the Den.  "Abby's ready for you!" 

She smiled, "Thanks Luciemoosie!" She said and left. 

"Luciemoosie?"  I asked Brooke.

"Yeah, that's what we're calling you now: Luciemoosie.  It's your new nickname."  Brooke said, shrugging.

"My nickname?" I said, dumbfounded that they made up a nickname for me.

"Yeah, everyone in our group has a nickname.  You know, Chloebird, Paigeymack, everyone has one."  Brooke said smiling. 

"Oh," I said, stupidly.  Everyone in our group.  Those words stuck inside my head even after Brooke left me to stare at the wall in front of me blankly.  Everyone in our group.  I just couldn't get over this.  Well, the girls have excepted me into their circle, but the only person I have to worry about now is Abby.