Chapter 13

Lucy POV

I was having trouble choosing what exactly I was going to wear to the costume party.  I wanted to make an impression.  I needed something cute, but most girl's definition of cute was slutty, so I really couldn't go far on that note.

I sighed and wanted to bang my head against a wall.  I wasn't as rich as Chloe and Maddie.  I could barely afford to buy myself a shirt every month.  I threw myself onto my bed, wishing, for the very first time that I wasn't who I am. 

Whatever.  A voice suddenly said inside my head.  You don't have to be their kind of cute, you just be you, and you shouldn't care what others think of you.  Somehow, this convinced me. 

You have an hour, get something from the store!!!!!

I sat up and grabbed my wallet.  I had been saving up for a so called, "rainy day" and I think that this counts. I shoved my favorite sneakers onto my feet and scampered out to the front door. 

"Mom, I'm going to the store!" I shouted, and shut the door.

I walked to the costume store that was seven blocks away.  It was getting close to Halloween, and I was glad for it.  I scoured the isles, looking for something cute to wear.  I finally found it in the last isle.  It was perfect.  I tried it on.  It was an eskimo costume.  It was a fake animal skin dress with faux wolf fur trim and hood.  I also picked out some knee-high moccasins that had a cute heel to them.  I grabbed some turquoise beads and some string from the craft store and made a necklace.  I then went to Sephora and bought dark foundation, extra volume mascara, a bronze lip gloss, and an eye shadow case filled with six different shades of brown, green, and yellow.  I was so excited.

I walked home, lugging all of the stuff I bought up the hill to my house.  When I got back, I checked my phone and saw that I had barely twenty minutes before I had to leave for the party.  Chloe said she would have to meet me there. 

I got myself ready and asked my mom to drive me to Maddie's house.  When I arrived, I arrived just on time and I hopped out of the car.

"Thanks Mom," I said, shutting the car door and scampering up to the house.  It was really big and I suddenly felt nervous going inside.  I had never really liked meeting new people.  I took a deep breath and rang the door bell.  Maddie answered... in regular clothes.

Before I could ask why she wasn't in costume, she flew open the door and called, "Hey everyone!  Look!  It's the new girl, Lucy Dasonell in her stupid animal costume!"

I turned bright red as a group of guys turned to look at me.  They weren't in costume either.  And then I saw Chloe, staring at me, bewildered.  She wasn't in a costume.  She ran to me as people started snickering at me.  I didn't say or do anything, and only when Chloe got me safely into a bathroom did I start to cry.