2 | The Ten Letter Word

"You have a very pretty name. It goes with a pretty face like yours."

I blushed for probably like the sixth time in the last three minutes. "Thanks, you're not too bad yourself, Mr. Rogers."

He grinned. "So...tell me about your day."

I sighed and scratched behind my ear. "Well...I woke up late this morning because I had to watch my niece last night and my brother in law came super early in the morning to get her. I then forgot that I hadn't gone to the grocery store to get more coffee. I missed the bus to uptown NYC and right now I'm really just thinking about skipping work. And then of course I made the hugest mistake of spilling coffee all over a hot guy-- no pun intended." I explained. I looked up at him a few times, and every time I did, he seemed to be looking at me the whole time.

I could hear him chuckle. "Was the pun about how hot the coffee was?"

I smiled sheepishly, still looking down at the table. "Yeah, that going against how insanely good looking you are," I said, partially under my breath.

He raised an eyebrow, skeptically. "You think I'm good looking."

I lifted my face, my expression suddenly becoming informed and a little less shy. "I mean yeah. Anyone who wouldn't think that is either crazy, blind, or just plainly needs Jesus."

He chuckled. "Well a pretty gorgeous girl like you, I wouldn't bet on it."

His words caught me off guard. I looked up, startled, eyes wide and cheeks flushed as dark as my skin tone would let them. "I..." I didn't know what to say, I was paralyzed again!

"Are you okay?" He asked concerned.

I used both hands to brush a hair behind both of my ears and looked down again, hiding my blush. "Oh yeah, I'm fine you just..." I looked up for a second with a bashful smile. "You just really caught me off guard. You're quite the sweet talker, Mr. Rogers."

His smile was both sweet and coy. His clothes were so dark that they no longer looked stained. I guess it was the power of his hotness that dried it up. "Certified, Ms. Bennett."

My sudden bashful shell was beginning to deteriorate and I gave a soft giggle that quickly developed into a quiet blissful laugh in which he joined me in.

I sighed with a sweet smile. "I guess this morning wasn't all bad...I think talking with you made it about one hundred and twenty percent better."

He smiled. "I'm glad to hear that, Ms. Bennett."

"You don't have to keep calling me that, Rachel is just fine." I chuckled casually.

He didn't vocally respond he just looked down and chuckled softly.

I leaned forward a little. "So what about you? You took the time out of your day to ask little old me about my day, so I, of course, have to return the favor." I set my elbows on the table. "I mean besides getting coffee spilled all over you."

He looked up as if he were thinking. "Well...nothing really special happened up until I came to this shop. Like you I uh, I ran out of coffee. I only live a few blocks away so I decided to take a ride and come down here. I think the coffee incident has been the most exciting thing today. Besides meeting you, of course."

I laughed. "I'll take that as a compliment."

My eye caught the brown stained newspaper that sat folded at the corner of the table now. My face twisted into a worried frown. "Oh god, I ruined your newspaper? Great job Rachel!" I said sarcastically, picking it up.