9 | Mi Casa

7/29/16

•••

I must've fallen asleep on said couch because it took someone shaking me like it was an earthquake to wake me up. "What, what..." I muttered slightly panicked and extremely tired, sitting up. I brushed my hair out of my eyes and saw Steve standing with a relieved face. "Jesus Christ, Steve." I breathed before stuffing my face into my hands and letting out a tired sigh.

"You're a really heavy sleeper, I got worried." He said and I looked up with sleepy aggravation. "Never do that to anyone ever. It's been too long of a day." I said before yawning into my hand. "'Scuse me. What time is it?"

"Twenty to four." He said looking up at the clock. I nearly went slack-jawed. "Are you serious? Damn it, I have to get home." I stood up and stretched the best I could without hurting myself. "I can go home, right?" I side eyed Steve who seemed to be very confused at how I was a woman in straight up motion.

He didn't quite understand that I wanted to go home and pass out on the bed and sleep until two pm.

He nodded slowly and I gave a content nod. "Good. I need my purse." I leaned down and grabbed my shoes. I wasn't about to bother with those, not today.

"Oh, I..." Steve looked down at him and picked up a big ziplock bag with my purse in it. "I picked it up while you were asleep."

I took the plastic bag with a small smile. "Thanks."

Since it was roughly four am, they issued Steve a car to drive me home since I was pretty much too sleep high to do anything with my life. That included going up the stairs to my apartment, to which I nearly fell on twice.

As we approached my door with Steve trailing curiously close behind me holding both my purse and shoes--which I didn't even ask him to do--my elderly next door neighbor Mrs. Johnson opened her door nearly scaring the shit out of me. "Oh my god Mrs. Johnson," I said with my hand over my heart.

Mrs. Johnson was a lovely, lovely old Jewish woman who had the cutest grandkids, but she could be very alarming at times. Let's just say that she liked to know that I was safe at all times when it came to people I 'brought home'. She was like my grandmother.

"Oh hello dear. You're getting in quite late. Or early." She said with an endearing smile that I tried my hardest to return. "Yeah, today has been very long. All I just want is some sleep." I gave a tired chuckle as I began unlocking my door.

"Oh." She said before glancing at Steve and giving a startled expression. "Oh!"

Steve gave an equally startled expression and I gave a small smile. "Mrs. J, this is Steve. He's going to be..." I paused everything for a second and I could feel both of their concerned eyes on me. "Um, he's going to be staying with me for a while."

Mrs. Johnson's eyebrows raised. "Oh?" I could tell what that oh meant, that dirty minded lady. I almost laughed. "Good night Mrs. Johnson," I said, pushing my door open and walking into the darkness that I so loved. Steve and Mrs. Johnson shared a few more words that I didn't quite hear before he stepped in and closed the door behind him.

I turned on the light and sighed. "Um..." I rubbed my eye and looked around my spacey living room. "Well...Mi casa es su casa." I said. He set my shoes down on the ground and my purse down on the counter. "Your home is very beautiful." He said, looking around. My apartment was colorful with turquoise walls and wood floors with yellow carpet and little useless decorations because why not? At least no one could call me boring.

"Thanks," I said tiredly scratching my now nappy hair. Oh well, I'd wash it tomorrow. "Blankets," I walked over to the cabinet and grabbed a large gray blanket. "Are over here if you need them." I set it on the couch and turned on the television. I tossed him the remote which he barely caught. "History Channel is on 728, help yourself," I said before walking down the hall to my room. "'Night, Captain. Or morning or whatever."

"Sleep well." I heard him say and I smiled. He was sweet.

I closed my door and collapsed on my bed without any second thought.

•••