Chapter Eight

❝bracelet (pronounced ˈbrāslit or breys-lit), noun
an ornamental band or circlet for the wrist or arm.❞ 

He woke up slowly to the wintery sunlight filtering in through the window, and felt her presence beside him. She was so wonderful. So perfect. She was still fast asleep, her full, perfect lips slightly parted, and her eyes closed, concealing the angelic green irises beneath her eyelids. Her eyelashes fluttered against his neck, and he shuddered involuntarily.

"Good morning, my dove," he breathed softly into her ear.

"Good morning," she mumbled back.

"Merry Christmas," he said, tightening his grip around her body.

She sighed, nestling closer to his warmth. "Merry Christmas," she said, and he chuckled, kissing the top of her head. "Are you wearing shorts, at least?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Because the kids are gonna run in and come into the bed with us. You know they will."

He laughed slightly. "Have I told you lately how much I love you?"

"You haven't for... I think almost three hours now."

"That's far too long." He kissed her deeply. "I love you. More than anything the world could ever give me. You and our children are the best things that could ever happen to me. I love you so much, my darling. You're so beautiful, and I'm so glad that I have the privilege of waking up beside you in the morning."

"At this point, Hunt, I'm just so happy that I'm alive. And that I have you, especially given all we've been through."

"It's been tough," said Hunter. "But we'll stick through it all, won't we?"

She kissed him gently. "Of course, bluejay. Together."

"That's right." He hugged her closer. "Together."

They lay there together in silence, simply enjoying each other's company. It was a sweet, sad moment that they shared- they knew that their time together was nearly up. But they knew it wasn't long until they'd be back together in America, with everything they could ever want or need right there with them.

"Your shirt smells like your cologne," said Ryan softly. "Can I keep it?"

"Why not just keep a bottle of the cologne?"

"That's not the same thing," she complained.

The door opened, and Ryan heard small feet tottering across the floor. "Christmas!" said the young boy cheerfully.

Hunter laughed. "Good morning, Spence."

"G'morning, Papa! Presents!"

"That's right, darling," said Ryan. "Excited?"

"Yeah!"

"That's good to hear, pumpkin," said Hunter with a chuckle. "Hey, why don't you come up here and give Papa a kiss?"

He scrambled up and gave Hunter a huge kiss on the cheek, nestling himself between his parents on the bed. "Can we open presents now?" he asked.

"Alright, then. Come on."

Spencer scrambled out again, yelling excitedly, and Ryan chuckled under her breath. "Whoever ends up marrying him is gonna have a real handful," she said.

"He's gonna be a heartbreaker," said Hunter with a laugh. "Breaking all the girls' hearts, left and right."

"Let's go," said Ryan, slowly rolling out of bed. "I'm so achy."